Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This It US 1 Cent Franklin Green?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,040Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this the scarce (Scott 594) and rare (596) rotary press 1 green Benjamin Franklin stamps of 1924 with gauge 11 perforations both horizontally and vertically.(From Linn's Stamp News) ???

Just added the back pic as requested.
Send note to Staff
Edited by ikuna - 10/17/2020 8:40 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please scan the back.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you measured the perfs using a gauge, what did you get?
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not good at measuring. I got 11 perforations on each side but the measurement gives me trouble because I don't have the proper equipment.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6980 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikuna, a perforation gauge is a must for identifying these older stamps. If all else fails you can always print one from stampsmarter
http://www.stampsmarter.org/learnin...rfGauge.html

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2996 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp is not a 594 or 596, the perforations at the sides do not match the rate at the top/bottom. Yes, as others have mentioned, a perforation gauge is one of the most basic and critical tools to properly enjoy the hobby.

When you get a gauge, I think you will find the top/bottom at 11, and the sides at 10.5, thus Scott 632. In the meantime, if you have a '38 Presidential stamp handy, it is also 11 x 10.5 and can be used for comparison.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about the back? Is there a story there?
When I checked against a gauge from a site, I got 11/11.
I would try again and I would like to get many more opinions on this stamp.
Thanks everyone.
You guys are a real source of information and facts.
Edited by ikuna - 10/18/2020 07:24 am
Learn More...
8484 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   07:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Doing a search on this site will reveal dozens of threads where people argued that they had a 594/596 (none did). This is such a common misconception that one of our members wrote this article http://stampsmarter.org/learning/ID...arities.html
Don
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When measuring the stamp. Do one measure from outside at the edge of the perforations or the frame of the print even if it is cut badly and sometimes may impose on the perforations?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Measuring the design is not an accurate method of determination.
Learn More...
8484 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When measuring the stamp. Do one measure from outside at the edge of the perforations or the frame of the print even if it is cut badly and sometimes may impose on the perforations?

If you read any of the threads in forum or the Stamp Smarter link above, you would not be measuring anything.
Don
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, I am not saying that any one action concludes whether I have the elusive and rare 594 or 596 Franklin.
I am taking all my advise from you learned people and also from experts who writes articles. This article mentions the measurement so I try my best to concur
.https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...-or-596.html

Now I am working on the gauge so in the mean time I am sharing as much with you guys ;my stamp community buddies who I respect 100%.
That being said, in the interim this is my effort at measuring for your observation and comment:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2996 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikuna,

Step 1: Obtain a perforation gauge and become adept in its use. There is no use going beyond until this step is complete and mastered.

But to go on anyway... I will repeat, it is obvious from the scans that the top/bottom perforations DO NOT match the sides. They are off by about a half a perforation in the full length or width of the stamp, thus you have a Scott 632, which is perf 11 x 10.5, which is also consistent with a clean back side you show. Flat plate stamps will often show ink set-off on the back side from the stacking of sheets after printing while rotary stamps will not show any ink set-off. Your stamp is indeed rotary, which is why you get the rotary measurements, but the perforation rate is not 11 all around.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John. So I'm working on the gauge and I would like to see the back of the 594/96 if you have any picture available for my understanding. Another words I am wondering if a used stamp may lessen the effect of this ink spotting at the back. Your efforts are not in vain since I am absorbing all that you share.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.Getting the Gauge soon. So thanks everyone for your imput.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
67 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good. I have confirmed that the perforations are : Length is 11 and the Width 11.5

Not sure with those perforations what type of stamp this is . I'm still looking but can anyone guide me?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,040Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05