Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Expanded Collecting Into Foreign

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 798Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Clovnfire to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm more than in shock for past 2 months. Doing inventory on Scott 1875 International album that is packed with it's albeit few pages .Untouched for 135 years , the original person was born in 1860 , wow . It's funny ,no airmails .
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A pic or two
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm baffled by the green ninety cent washington . #128563;
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3614 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That has great potential. There are some condition issues, but I see mint and used items that have some really good value.

Oxidation can change colors, but I'll wait for US experts to chime in on your 90 cent green.

I see US#1 and #2, which are very desirable in any collection. Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   12:46 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could that green 90c be a proof? Certainly looks trimmed down. Oxidization is a good candidate too.
Mike Pascoe, PhD
https://linktr.ee/pascoe
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a "changeling" that has had its color changed due to environmental and storage conditions.

If you wish to keep these stamps the first thing that needs to be done with this album is making a conservation plan. Likely these stamps are pasted down or attached with paper hinges although I do see the edge of either a shiny hinge or tape on the torn 90 cent. You need to determine how these stamps are attached and then ask for solid advice on how to safely remove them. That is if you wish to conserve them.

I cannot state strongly enough however that if your goal is to extract cash from selling the album it is a must that it be left untouched. These types of collections, especially if no stamps have been removed over the years are becoming very scarce and there are people that will pay significant money for them intact.

What is your plan?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1893 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful. I love old albums. Especially when they have nice looking stamps in them.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a treasure. Beyond the salvaging of the stamps involved, consider keeping it intact as a relic of the earlier days stamp collecting?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there more to share? Are you planning to sell this or start a collection or ?
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After discussions with Philatelic firms, which didn't seem impressed with the album as a whole, I am placing some stamps in APS Stamp store now to share some special items. A great time to retire after 40 years in construction. I had a fine U.S. collection prior to this acquisition of 1875,1888,1908 Scott albums
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it is a fantastic slice of history. By the way, I am a lifelong construction guy. (retired to semi-retired)
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the museums have similar albums , so rather than having them join a single spot on a shelf again , others can enjoy some fresh supply . I will share some additional pics .
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning Clovinfire,

Enjoy your retirement! Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
this group of Scott albums may take Years to process in sale . One firm's opinion on the missionaries is that they are fraudulent . Question , any info of year these started ? After 1888 ?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely some items of interest, but picture quality makes it difficult to see perforations, borders, other quality issues (tears). You would be able to sell the individual higher value items easily on eBay, and then sell off the rest as 'remainder' album(s). Many eBay sellers would take on consignment and sell for you (at a seller's commission, of course).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 798Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05