Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 37 Sq - How Do You Explain This Perforation...??

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 722Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
7286 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Funny looking perf. on this Scott 37 SQ that is 12.0 x 12.25
Has anyone seen this weird perforation..??

Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7029 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, can you be more specific as to what is strange? I see nothing wrong with it, keeping in mind that it is used,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7286 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter
Red arrows shows lined up with peaks, but yellow arrows line up with hollows...Just different that's all...Probably nothing to worry about.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5023 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just keep sliding the stamp further down the gauge lines.
Pillar Of The Community
7286 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok..One last stab at it..

I took a perf.measurement at 12.0.
I aligned the perfs. with the hollows and then the perf. peaks.

Does anyone see what I am looking at....???

Robert

Edited by wert - 10/19/2020 10:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7029 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You know, you forgot to say "eh" at the end (-:. Yes, I see it, but I am as flabbergasted as you are

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
461 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   10:36 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not only do the perfs appear different the bottom of the stamp looks to be a little wider than the top.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5023 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were pieces of paper produced in the 19th century, not a CNC aerospace part. Maybe I am missing something?
Pillar Of The Community
7286 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes wheelman....You are correct.

I noticed it right away...
I used a UOM {Unit Of Measurement} ruler...See the difference below.

Robert

Edited by wert - 10/19/2020 12:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There exists the possibility that the perfs at the lower right have been repunched to cover perforation flaws.
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you saying that 2/3 of the side gauges 12 and 1/3 of the side gauges 12.25 as a 12/12.25 gauge?
It is possible that the perforating wheel may have slipped to the right slightly on the right side as the stamp was being vertically perforated.
Stamps are usually perforated head first in for the vertical perforations.
A loose perforating wheel on the perforator shaft would give it a jump slip and the perforations would not be straight looking but wobbly.
Edited by jogil - 10/20/2020 09:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
7286 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you saying that 2/3 of the side gauges 12 and 1/3 of the side gauges 12.25 as a 12/12.25 gauge?

I took a pixel ruler and placed it on 4 perf. tips from the left side of the stamp, and it came out 161 pixels...Then measured 4 perf. tips on the right and it also came out to 161 pixels also... So same perf was used on this stamp..Very strange.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert: The perforating wheel may have loosened and slipped to the right on the way down on the right side of this stamp.

Is there a slight fold or tear on the right of the left side number "3"?

If so, then maybe that was tucked/teared in during the perforating only to get tucked/teared out afterwards.
Edited by jogil - 10/20/2020 10:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
7286 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a slight fold or tear on the right of the left side number "3"?

No tear or fold Jogil.

Now another oddity..The back of the stamp..Getting more weird.
Robert

Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given just the images, the stamp has had a hard life and has condition issues. I agree with Jogil, it appears to be a tear/fold or something going on with it. If so, all bets are off regrading the perf gauging. In my opinion, anytime I am dealing with used stamp more suspicion has to be factored in.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 722Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05