Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 37 Sq - How Do You Explain This Perforation...??

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 746Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I note the perforations along BOTH the right side and the bottom seem to jump slightly. Clearly the perforation "bridge" at the right side shift is longer than normal.

I don't buy into the perf wheel jump theory (or a paper shift theory). What are the odds that it also happened along the bottom edge on the same stamps?

Occam's razor. While not having the stamp in-hand, I would suggest a simpler theory. The stamp was printed normally, then somehow a very small diagonal crease occurred in the sheet during drying/stacking process. The creased sheet was perforated, sold and used. It has since been fully soaked and carefully pressed-out to be unnoticeable today. It would be interesting to see if a crease is visible in fluid.

Consider the following picture with the two diagonal lines representing the double fold of a paper crease. When unfolded, the perf rows jump, but are the same gauge for each half, and depending on the hit/miss pattern, the bridge between holes can be longer or shorter by chance.

That's my take without in-hand study. Thoughts?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7314 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then somehow a very small diagonal crease occurred in the sheet during drying/stacking process.

I am thinking about that theory...Does make some sense..I looked and looked at the front/back with bare eyes and magnifying glasses...But I can not see any crease or a remnant of an unfolded crease.

Thanks guys for trying to help..On to the next headache..

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And perhaps not even a crease, but a small buckle that would not even leave a trace of broken/bent fibers.
Pillar Of The Community
7314 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a small buckle that would not even leave a trace of broken/bent fibers

You may have some thing there John..Thanks.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert: Did you try putting it in watermark fluid as John Becker suggested in order to look for dark lines that may show up in the paper?
Edited by jogil - 10/21/2020 09:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
7314 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will give that a try Jogil.

Robert
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 746Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05