Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   1:37 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI all

I actually don't see a 2020 thread... I thought someone DID start one instead of me! Perhaps I am blind...

ANYHOO, here is the new, fresh, shiny 2021 version!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may have started this topic too early... all I am finding so far are links about potential new rates for 2021

https://blog.stamps.com/2020/10/19/...ng-services/

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5029 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking into my crystal ball and see more hearts, flags and cartoons. Oh, and flowers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, you must have a GREAT crystal ball!

I wish they would have a 9-11 stamp marking 20 years since the day... I don't agree with the USPS policy of not "commemorating" tragedies. Americans died on the Titanic but we didn't get a Titanic stamp, and I bet we still won't get a new 9-11 one, either.

"Commemorating" doesn't apply in such cases, "remembering" does.
Edited by Nells250 - 10/20/2020 2:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5029 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
412 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A new 2021 LOVE stamp is almost a certainty.

According to the proposed new rates, we should see new stamps for postcards and the extra ounce.

I fully expect Priority Mail and PM Express rates to rise as well, but those have not yet been proposed/announced. New stamps will be needed for those rates. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Global Forever rate to go up either.
Edited by uboatnut - 10/20/2020 4:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   02:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckildegaard to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I understand why new stamps would be needed for the rate increases. To my knowledge, almost nothing has been denominated of late, so they can simply sell existing stock at higher prices.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2865 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Priority and Express mail are denominated so these would change. As for new issues, why would we need new Love, Christmas and other holidays, flowers, and any number of topical subjects when they have stock of prior issues.

They continue to issue some of the dullest work horse stamps (presort).
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
412 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed - new non-denominated stamps are not needed when postal rates change; only their selling price at the counter needs to be adjusted. That's why they are called "Forever" stamps. Only the denominated stamps require a new stamp be issued.

To take that logic a bit further, why do we need more than one stamp for any rate?

Edited by uboatnut - 10/21/2020 12:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you, Al. Its just not the same anymore.

Jack
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckildegaard to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore,

I forgot that Priority Mail stamps were sold denominated. (That brings up an interesting question -- is it possible to pay with stamps but still get a tracking number/label without visiting a post office?)

uboatnut, we certainly don't need more than one design for any given rate, but it makes things more interesting! I like to have at least two, and often three, different designs available for my mailings. I also just bought a batch of discount postage which will make it even more fun (although that will be a bunch of lower-value stamp combos)!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2448 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I particularly don't see the need for new wedding designs every year. Are people really getting married, divorced and remarried so fast they are saying geez, I want something different than I used last year?
Valued Member
134 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I toyed with the idea of collecting what's left after ignoring annual repetitive issues (ex New Year, Love), presorts, high value stamps I'd probably never use (Priority), generic (flowers, birds, fruits), multi-stamp designs that do not commemorate anything ("enjoy the great outdoors"), commercial connections (Bugs Bunny), and mostly-text (Innovation, Thank You). That left so little in a year that it hardly seemed worth the bother. So instead I get a pane of one or two of what's left to use on mail (Mayflower).
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05