Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can This Washington Green Be 544??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there any reason that this stamp cannot possibly be Cat. 544 1c??
The perforations are worn and uneven and even darkened with black ink so the gauge is not crooked. I tried to line up it's sides with 11.5, 10.5,10. None lined up as good as the 11.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3060 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree your stamp is perf 11, however it is the offset-printed Scott 525.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How can the difference be revealed ? 544 vs 525 ?
Learn More...
8606 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   7:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read Stamp Smarter or invest money in a set of catalogs.
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/M...methods.html

Well-meaning suggestion….
You appear to be starting with the assumption that you have the rarest varieties. Stamps are as common as rock, imagine that you go into your back yard, pick up a rock, and want to ID the rock type. If you start with the assumption that it is a diamond can you see how it makes your process more difficult? Or imagine that you find a lottery ticket on the sidewalk, would you assume that it was a mega winning ticket?

Please consider starting with the assumption that you have the most common variety. It will make your ID process go much quicker (because you will find that you that have the most common varieties the overwhelming majority of the time ). This will also prevent alienating many of the people in this community who want to help you.
Don
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This group is about love. I totally understand and that is why I ask about the stuff that I should look out for. I do not want to have a valuable stamp and due to fear I don't ask.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3060 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The U.S. definitive stamps of this era (the "Washington-Franklin" series, 1908-1923) are complex. As you are finding out, many of them look alike, but differ by paper (watermark), perforation rates, engraving differences, sheet/booklet/coil format, and printing method. In particular, the 1, 2, and 3 cent stamps were the workhorse denominations and were produced in HUGE quantities. It takes considerable study to master them through the Stampsmarter website, catalogs, etc.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This means that I have to be an expert to post. That type of knowledge is good but how can I master every US stamp? Also my collection were not random stamps but collected over years and kept by a fairly knowledgeable family of mine. As coins, the valuable ones are few and far between but I still need understanding with these type of groups because I'm sure everyone here would admit that most of the stamps look very similar' valuable or not.
Edited by ikuna - 10/20/2020 7:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3060 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No. Most questions here come from non-experts - or concerning areas they do not specialize in. That's why they have the questions. Fortunately, most U.S. stamps (especially the commemorative issues) have only 1 variety, thus ID is simple. The collective knowledge of the participants here is quite comprehensive.

My first post to this board several years ago was a question not fully covered by the standard catalog. I got told to go read the catalog. I later found the answer in a journal of a specialty society.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
521 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, you do not need to be an expert first. However, it is better to say what you have done to identify the stamp first. Perforations, watermarks, paper type, printing type, etc. You did that but missed the fact that there are other perf 11 varieties of this stamp and those are very common stamps. Use the stamp smarter web site or a Scott US Specialized catalog to see all of the varieties in one list. BTW, offset printed stamps of this era look fuzzy/blurry compared to engraved stamps of the same design.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05