Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be A Sc491?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 587Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add raypie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my plethora of stamps my grandfather labeled this as a 491. I looked at many previous post from here and I'm not sure? Can anyone help?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6125 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalog numbers do change over the years. Not sure if a 492 was previously a 491 or if he was just dreaming.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raypie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not certain if I am replying but I am figuring this was done in the 1940's
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raypie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody else have any idea about this George? I'm looking at Stamp Smarter and have a perf guide but I don't think this stamp was labelled correctly
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5046 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a 491 to me.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raypie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed there was someone on here that use to grade stamps. Is there currently anyone who does this not besides the Philatelic society?

Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1686 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The remaining perfs visible on the upper left side seem sketchy to me. Unusually wide.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would look closely at the shading lines in the ribbon to make sure someone didn't alter a type III. Type II was only issued on rotary press stamps, so the options to fake this stamp, is limited but not impossible, with altering a type III the most common.
Edited by percyjgp - 10/24/2020 12:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3068 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left perfs look wide because the are cut all the way down. The arc cut is typical of coils applied by an affixer, discussed in several previous threads.

To revisit an earlier question in this thread about catalog renumbering:

Short answer: Yes. There has been, so anything labeled as "491" in the past should be reexamined - including this stamp

Long answer:
1927 Scott worldwide catalog showing only 1 type:

I don't have a 1928 catalog, but skipping forward to the 1929 Scott worldwide catalog with types III and II listed, in that order:

Things remain static through at least the 1956 U.S. Specialized catalog with type III being the major type and type II being the "a" subtype:

I don't have 1957 or 1958 catalogs, but by the 1959 U.S. Specialized catalog (scanned here) the 491 listing is split into 491 and 492 as it remains today:

Learn More...
8622 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
raypie,
Having a stamp that is previously identified (whether it is marked, in a glassine, stockbook, or album) is mixed blessing. Sometimes it helps you but sometimes it misleads you. It pays to study and learn how to identify stamps yourself and always take any existing ID with a grain of salt. I typically am especially dubious of any stamp that is marked as a rare or uncommon variety, I find these are often mis-identified.
And as mentioned above, catalog numbers changed over time; at other times a stamp might have a catalog number from a catalog that you are not familiar with.
Don
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raypie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much everyone. I was researching about the different shading. My untrained eye needs more experience at this. It is interesting how the rotary press elongates the subject matter. I really appreciate the effort all of you gave me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05