Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Checking For Watermarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 507Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add raypie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone

Is there anyway to check for a watermark besides the lighter fluid method?

Thanks

raypie
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7030 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several. You could use the "search" function on any page and read a whole pile of threads on the subject.
Of course, you could look at a stamp with a bright back light. Use water. Best of all use watermark fluid,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 10/23/2020 1:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A safe version of lighter fluid. It has its pro and cons. See "search" tab for discussions. Many other companies sell this product.

https://www.ihobb.com/p/CLARITY.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A non liquid method. Again has its pros and cons. Check search.

https://www.safepub.com/signoscope-...-detector-t3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3060 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Raypie, You ask a very broad, generic question. The visibility/detectability of watermarks varies significantly country by country. Did you have a specific country and era you are focusing on? Otherwise our replies may have limited applicability. Is there a reason you are seeking alternatives to the (fairly) standard method of watermark fluid or lighter fluid?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking for Washington-Franklin watermarks; good luck. All of the above plus wet scanning on a computer with color toning. None of them yield satisfactory results. Sorry.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the great benefits of collecting French stamps is never having to look for a watermark. Does wonders for your collecting pleasure.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raypie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am glad I won't have to look for those on my French Stamps. The watermarks I was currently look for were on my older U.S. stamps. I have a good place to start. Once again thanks everyone.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
271 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because lighter fluid contains a microscpic amount of fat I have tried using a laborotory grade anhydrousn alcohol. I t contains no oils and less water. It works as effectively as Lighterfluid and should theoretically cause less damage to a stamp..
Valued Member
Learn More...
463 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   10:50 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A non liquid method. Again has its pros and cons. Check search.

https://www.safepub.com/signoscope-...-detector-t3
Posted by redwoodrandy above and peaked my interest. Comments Pro or Con on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2527 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you run Signoscope thru search, there's a bunch of community threads on them, most boil down to "they're expensive" and "they're ok".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1684 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used the T1 and T2 and strongly prefer the T1. I find the T2 difficult to use and there is a possibility of a stamp getting creased or bent. Use with extreme care. T1 allows compression on the stamp to help see watermarks, however this feature as I recall is not available in the T2.

Have not used the T3, though the idea of color filters to help see watermarks is intriguing. The Signoscope is not a panacea as not all watermarks will be visible. This is particularly true of newer, thick papers used in the 1970s and 80s. But for stamps of normal/average thickness, it works very well. One tip- the highest possible illumination isn't always the best way to see the watermark. Most times, lower to dim light highlights edges of the watermark as you dial the illumination higher or lower.

As far as older thick paper stamps, I don't have the experience to know if the watermarks are difficult to see with a Signoscope.
Edited by shermae - 10/24/2020 11:09 am
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raypie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are expensive. Any place rent them?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05