Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help. One Shelling Xc Can't Find It.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 300Next Topic  
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stamp has I believe the words XC in top the left hand corner. Light Green with a blueish edge. Please identify. The perforations seems to be 14.4 X 14.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
479 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The XC you are seeing is actually part of the ornamental design. This is Great Britain 1shilling. I don't have my catalog in front of me but look around the 1880 era and you should find it. The blue is not part of the stamp but due to postmarking or other markings done later, but not part of the actual stamp design colours.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going to check.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found It on Stampworld.
https://www.stampworld.com/en/stamp...?user=291357

Date of Issue: 1887
Denomination: 1 Sh
Perforations: 14
Sheet Size: 240 (d-3d, 5d, 6d and 1s), 80 (4d and 4d, 9d) and 96 (10d)
# Issued: 138,600,000
Design:
Height/Width:
Theme: People on Stamps/Royals/Victoria, Queen
Edited by ikuna - 10/23/2020 10:06 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The blue is likely part of a postal marking that indicated registered mail in many countries: conspicuous large crosses, running across the entire envelope, made with blue crayon (occasionally in other colors). This marking was common in Britain and her colonies, but was used in other nations as well.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
69 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always appreciate the information shared. Thanks guys.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 300Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05