Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bogus Series 1940 Overprints On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 650Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
406 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StateRevs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An eBay seller has listed seven bogus "Series 1940" Overprint stamps.

They aren't even close. Wrong serial number range, wrong serial number color, crappy overprint, etc... They also seem to be produced using only faulty stamps to add insult to injury.

I have notified them to let them know but they ignored the previous bogus overprint I notified them about a few months ago...

Lot 233756514654, "U S stamps revenues reference copy Scott R282 thirty dollar series 1940 used" is an example.

Adding "REFERENCE" to the auction lot title as cover is a foul.

UPDATE: The seller, Boots4222, replied back and stated, "I know that's why I am selling them as reference copies only"

Unacceptable! My issue is he ID's them as the very expensive "Series 1940" cat numbers, instead of the actual earlier series "somebody" just hand stamped. The last thing we need is a flood of weekly garbage "Series 1940" sets on faulty stamps.
Send note to Staff
Edited by StateRevs - 10/24/2020 5:25 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
624 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you StateRevs. Reference copy is not an acceptable substitute for fake or forgery.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All have been pulled. I had them in my books for years as fillers until I could afford the real thing . I now have all certified examples in my albums. No harm in using them as fillers ? No false advertising intended.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
800 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5002 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All have been pulled. I had them in my books for years as fillers until I could afford the real thing . I now have all certified examples in my albums. No harm in using them as fillers ? No false advertising intended.

The problem is that nowhere in the title or listing did you ever say they were fakes, just "reference copy" which many people won't realize means that the stamps are bogus.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3068 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I often buy additional duplicates of REAL stamps as "reference copies" for study, etc. The term "reference copies" DOES NOT equate to fake or forgery in my mind. A buyer could easily and legitimately claim fraud.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4719 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not defending the seller. I certainly cannot read his mind.

Over the past several years, the word "reference" has moved into eBay-speak to represent fakes or forgeries. For a longer period, words such as "Spanish Caribbean" and "Spanish colonies" have been used to avoid the word Cuba, which is an eBay no-no.

So, the seller may or may not be trying to misrepresent the item.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/24/2020 10:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is one up now. It's an obvious fake, but I agree that simply calling it a "reference" copy is insufficient.
Valued Member
Learn More...
406 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All have been pulled.

Thank you!

Not accusing anyone of anything, other than you know they are bogus, and we know they are bogus, and the person(s) who bought them from you may or may not know. What about the next generation?

I watched an auction yesterday with several suspect RB roulettes. The creator didn't even bother to make sure the roul sizes were consistent.

You have all seen dubious part perf 1st series copies.

Way too much bogus material in our hobby.

The Series 1940 stamps have flown below most collector's radar, and are occasionally hiding in plain sight. At least with these we have the ability to know whether they have a chance at being legit or not.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The seller has also recently run and sold reference copies of RG 28-32, RJA 21-22 and RJA 30-32. I think he enjoys making reference copies with rubber stamps for profit.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 650Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.71 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05