Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Scott Catalogue Question ... Qe4 Vs. Qe4A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 421Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1182 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JLLebbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I stumbled across PSE certs for these two stamps that, at first, puzzled me. The QE4 was described as having been issued in 1929 (think this should be 1928) and yellow green in color ... QE4a was described as having been issued in 1925 and deep green in color. Which, of course, is just the opposite of what I find in my 2017 Scott specialized. The two certs were dated 2005 & 2006. My assumption, for now, is that these two numbers were swapped sometime between 2006 & 2017. Can anyone confirm this? I no longer have any catalogue earlier than the 2017.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
998 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is a 1940 version too that Scott doesn't list. This based on some guy who claims to be an expert. But I'd like to get educated on these too.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7029 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1987 Scott: QE3 June 25, 1925 yellow green
QE4 1929 yellow green
QE4a April 11,1925 deep green

Does this help a bit?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1182 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter: Thanks, you've confirmed my hunch that Scott renumbered these to place the catalogue numbers in the same sequence as their issue dates.
rlsny: I don't know when Scott may have added the 1940 printing, but it was only 2 or 3 years ago that they added the 1928 printing of QE1 thru QE3 on special booklet paper. At that time, they assigned them a b suffix. For some time, the 1940 issues had been listed without a suffix while the 1955 issues had been given an a suffix. The 1928 issues were printed on special booklet paper whose grain runs perpendicular to that of normal stamp paper ... this resulted in slightly different horizontal & vertical design dimensions. When I first saw these listings a couple of years ago, I immediately assumed there would be a renumbering to place them in proper chronological order. Scott did so in the 2021 catalogue.
Note that QE4a was printed prior to the other QEs in 1928 and hence was not on special booklet paper. But the same color ink was used on all of the 1928 QEs. To summarize:
1925 wet printing: QE4 (deep green) on normal paper
1928 wet printing: QE4a (yellow green) on normal paper
1928 wet printing: QE1 thru QE3 (yellow green) on Special Booklet Paper
1940 wet printing: QE1a thru QE3a (green) on normal paper
1955 dry printing: QE1b thru QE3b (light green) on normal paper
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
412 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2014 Scott US Specialized, page 403

QE3: June 25, 1928, wet printing, yellow-green
QE3a: 1955, dry printing, yellow-green
QE4: April 11, 1925, deep green
QE4a: 1928, yellow-green
====================
2020 Scott US Specialized, page 450

QE3: 1940 wet printing, green
QE3a: 1955, dry printing, light green
QE3b: 1928, special booklet paper, yellow green

QE4: April 11, 192, deep green
QE4a: 1928, yellow-green
Edited by uboatnut - 10/24/2020 7:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1182 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Think I may have accidentally clouded the issue.
In my 2017 Scott, QE1 thru QE3 are listed as being the 1928 printing and QE1a thru QE3a as the 1955 printing. The color for both printings is given as yellow green. No mention is made of the 1940 printing. So presumably, it was the 1940 printing that was effectively added in recent years. Part of the confusion comes from the recent addition to the catalogue of the 1928 sheet stamps that were printed on SBP (Special Booklet Paper).
Sometime within the past 2 or 3 years, 11 stamps printed in 1928 on SBP were added to the catalogue. An article in that year's catalogue stated the case for the addition of these stamps. Originally the author had only intended for the 3 special handling stamps (QE1 thru QE3) on SBP to be added, but the folks at Scott decided that all 11 SBP stamps should be addressed. The author's desire had been to clarify the confusion in the philatelic marketplace about the QEs which were frequently being misidentified by sellers & collectors alike.
The initial result of the catalogue change was the substitution of the 1940 printing for the 1928 (as QE1 thru QE3) and then the addition of the 1928 SBP stamps (as QE1b thru QE3b). The 1955 printing (QE1a thru QE3a) were left untouched except for an adjustment to the stated ink color.
Finally, in the 2021 edition, Scott gave the QEs what one hopes is their final renumbering, placing them in what seems to be the appropriate chronological sequence. Basically it was a reshuffling of the suffixes ...
1940 " "--->"a", 1955 "a"--->"b", 1928 "b"--->" ".
Note that unlike the other 8 stamps on SBP, the QEs have several differences other than the very slight difference in design size caused by the use of SBP ... e.g., ink color, gum color, sharpness of design, wet vs. dry print.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
998 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:00 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you JL and uboat for the education.
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It can be confusing telling apart different printings and paper grain directions that affect stamp frame sizes.
Here are some illustrations that may be helpful even though they are from a different country stamp issue.

When a wet (17.5 mm x 21.5 mm) and a dry (18 mm x 21.5 mm) printed stamp with vertical grain paper is compared, the horizontal stamp frame widths will differ from each other and the vertical stamp frame lengths would be around the same.

When a wet printed stamp with horizontal grain paper (18 mm x 21 mm) is compared to a wet printed stamp with a vertical grain paper (17.5 mm x 21.5 mm), both the horizontal stamp frame widths and the vertical stamp frame lengths will differ from each other.

If a dry printed stamp with vertical grain paper (18 mm x 21.5 mm) is compared to a wet printed stamp with horizontal grain paper (18 mm x 21 mm), the vertical stamp frame lengths will differ from each other and the horizontal stamp frame widths would be around the same.
Edited by jogil - 10/25/2020 09:57 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05