Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Popular Stamps For Framing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 630Next Topic  
Valued Member

249 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What modern stamp panes are popular for framing? Are there certain issues that you think look spectacular custom framed on a wall?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French art stamps perhaps?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4696 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Polish engraver C. Slania's work for numerous countries would give a lot of choices.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/24/2020 10:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1683 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweden issued a souvenir sheet done by Slania celebrating his 1,000th (?) design for Sweden. Very detailed, expertly engraved (of course), and a lot more colors than typical for an engraved issue.

I think it would likely frame up very nicely.

Valued Member
Spain
216 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I know of someone who has this framed at home, he lives there.
Regards.

Learn More...
8605 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The argument can be made that our material deserves to be viewed and enjoyed; but ideally and in terms of preservation we would store our stamps/cover/documents in total darkness and only view them in light occasionally.

Framing and displaying stamps will ultimately damage the stamps/cover/documents due to light exposure. This includes all light (200nm thru 750nm) although invisible UV rays from sunlight and fluorescent light will cause damage the quickest. Using protective glass/ acrylic cuts down on light damage but it is does change the fact that the stamps/cover/documents will indeed be negatively impacted over time (lighten, change colors, break down papers). In my opinion you could probably 'get away' with very minimal amounts of damage if you;
1. - Use UV protective glass or acrylic (Acrylite OP-3 and Plexiglas UF-5) in the frame.
2. - Avoid hanging framed piece anywhere near a windows or near reflected sunlight source. Close blinds or curtains during brightest part of day.
3. - Hang framed piece in dark area of the house such as an interior hallway.
4. - Do not illuminate framed piece with any light source, turn lighting on only during periods of viewing
5. - Consider only displaying stamps/cover/documents for a short period
6. - Consider making high resolution scans of the stamps/cover/documents and display the reproductions.
7. - If you are determined to display the actual stamps/cover/documents long term then please do not do this with anything that is rare, use common material which will not be a great loss to philately.
Don
Valued Member
Spain
216 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
Here are some street reproductions. If you are good with painting .....
The last is inverse, first it was the painting and then the stamp.
The one in the middle is me for more than 30 years. He had hair on his head!
Regards.

Edited by Roberto59 - 10/25/2020 08:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3060 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To echo Don, I would avoid using original philatelic material. Consider instead sacrificing an old stamp collecting calendar. They have enlarged illustrations and come in a variety of topics including duck stamps. Here are two I set aside from 2004 and 2005:

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why stop at a frame? Go for philatelic wallpaper

https://www.iwantwallpaper.co.uk/as...958992-p2337
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GoshKruse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not just create your own artwork? Scan in your favorite stamp(s) and add a little creative magic with a software program, then send it for a quality printing. Many printers will also frame.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I framed a pane of US stamps Scott 3414-3417 "Stampin' The Future" and put it in my stamp area, along with a couple of framed old album covers. Looks great and I have no guilt for "ruining" these stamps as I paid for them and chose to frame them instead of use them for the mail.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to the National Postal Museum website. There is a section which allows you to review, by topic (or year & maybe designer) individual stamps issued. you can size & print, matt-frame-collage what ever & frame big or small these artworks. (I believe the section is ARGO??)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Jackie (not literally - I'm in south London). I shouldn't put my 1c magenta in a frame on the wall, but most stamps are penny stamps. The world won't mourn their fading.
Learn More...
8605 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GeoffHa,
I hope you and Jackie will help us reply to the many threads that get started on the 'rare error' stamp finds (which are color changelings) we seem to get every week. And there is an endless stream of these 'rare error' stamps on eBay too. Yikes!

But seriously, in a public forum like this we always needs to make sure that folks understand good stewardship and conservation practices. But I do agree with personal property rights, folks have a right to light cigars with their stamps if they want to...
Don
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The question was specifically for modern panes of stamps. I don't see any issue with framing attractive modern panes of stamps.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 630Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05