Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With The Identification On 1c Small Queen

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 295Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stanswick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I've recently come into a small set of small queens. I've been going through the forums looking at the info provided and have studied the Scott identification table as well to try to place the variety

I've got these four 1c that I have collected the info and would love to validate with the much smarter folks in this forum. So my questions:
1/ On the first stamp, I believe the positioning dot is visible on the outer frame. Using that and the perf, I'm going with a Scott #35. You all agree?
2/ On the second, I don't see a dot and the paper isn't as nice. Ottawa printing of Scott #35?
3/ What do you think of my estimate on the 3rd and 4th?

Thanks all for your feedback and advice.

Matt

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
356 Posts
Posted 10/26/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the wonderful world of Small Queens. All 1 cent are Scott #35s. Your second stamp is a 2nd Ottawa printing while the other 3 are Montreal printings. If you send me a private communication email I will send you my SQ identification tables.

GJP
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
586 Posts
Posted 10/26/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend you soak the stamps to get rid of old hinges, etc. Makes them much nicer and easier to see the paper quality.

Also, the last one seems to have a 3c offset, which is very unusual on 1c stamp (at least I have never seen one).

That would seem to indicate that the 1c sheet was placed on a "still wet" 3c sheet.

Anyone else seen that before?
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 10/26/2020   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stanswick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you gportch and 3Dadeo. You make identification seem easy. :)

Matt
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 10/26/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stanswick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and gportch, unfortunately I can't email you as I don't have access to the emails (still too new to the community). Are you able to email me the Small Queens ID guide you mentioned?

Matt
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 10/26/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beware of stamps of different denominations transferred to the back of another stamp. If you have a copy (even used) and there are remnants of gum on the back if you store a different stamp face up underneath the partially gummed stamp the gum can pick up ink from the bottom stamp as the ink can stick to the gum. I suspect a 3c stamp was stored behind the 1c and some ink stuck to the back of the 1c stamp.

Mike
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05