Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gross 1847 Session 1 Was Fun

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 916Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1009 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When it's deep pocket vs deep pocket it can get pretty interesting. I am happy to report I got one for my little pockets. Hope you all enjoyed it too.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
24 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jbodo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - very enjoyable. The 10c Newbury corner lot bidding was crazy to watch!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
153 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I liked watching the bidding on the two excellent 1b pairs. Both went for far over their estimates.
risny - Can't you show us your little gem?
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a couple too, including lot#2 - the pair of die proofs! I've wanted a set for as long as I've collected.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jbodo & widglo: I was on the sidelines, too, watching in amazement as these lots (and many others) went crazy!

I noticed that the action was furious - they set a pace of about 50 lots per hour. About half of normal. I wondered why they split the sale into 3 days - they must have known the amount of interest that would show up and knew the pace would be this slow.

I had a couple dozen lots that I was interested in. Bid on about 20. Underbidder on about ten. Got a big fat goose-egg. My real interest is in Wednesday's lots. I expect to be more aggressive. I hope to get a few. We will see.

It'll be interesting to see where the Rush cover lands.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2246 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Waukegan 10c cover has probably always been my favorite 1847 item, since I first saw it in Ishikawa's collection in the 1980s. It is lot 422.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1009 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   8:54 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got an extra-fine centered ex Saddi "dark grayish brown"- I bid on half a dozen before I finally hit one. That's all I was after in this auction.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
153 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
risny - If it was lot 162 that you won, it looks like a very nice stamp. I like the "grayish brown", and the blue cancel makes it even prettier.

I was lucky and I was able to pick up one more stamp yesterday. I was afraid the unusual cancel would push the price up out of my range.

***Don fixed image link***
Edited by widglo46 - 10/29/2020 08:16 am
Learn More...
8620 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   08:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fixed it Lorry. It did not like the 'cent' symbol' in the link.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1009 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:56 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo46, that's a great stamp. If I hadn't won the one I got (yes 162) I would have been bidding against you. I think these are stamps we will be glad to have for a long time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2246 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very fun sale. I will be poor for some time, but quite happy with a couple purchases.

In a sale like this where many really nice items go for quite a bit, I often find it hard to plan my lot list to track for this kind of sale. I finally just threw out my lot list, after underbidding a bunch. There were also things later in the sale I wanted more than some earlier things, but I probably didn't stand a chance against some of those later items.

So, I switched into monitoring mode, where I'm just looking for something great that falls in my reach. I got two, I'm a happy camper.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I missed it but I also still have my money!

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2246 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack - there is a lot to be said for that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   6:49 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm empty handed. Got my butt kicked on the few covers I wanted. Oh well. They will come around again in due course.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
84 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got crushed on most of them, but added a very nice #1a cover and #2 cover that will go nicely in my First Issue Collection. They will replace some covers that were not tied and most likely were stampless covers with stamps added. Fun stuff. Now to wait for the US Possessions at the end of the Langs auction tomorrow.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to the plate proofs I got a couple of 5c color varieties too. I got a Grayish Brown and an "Olive Brown"

I love the "grid of tiny dots" cancel on the Grayish Brown.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 916Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05