Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wheeling West VA Quandary?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 9 / Views: 465Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
384 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vacuum man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just getting back into my collection after a while off and came across a Wheeling precancel stamp. I am trying to identify the PSS number for it. I have an older catalog (fifth edition) so it may be in the newer editions I just cant find anything matching the stamps listed for Wheeling in my edition.

It is block caps 3mm high between lines that are 1mm wide and 12mm apart. That would make it a 239 but I don't think that the letters are condensed. Any ideas on the what it could be?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Picture/scan please.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is
Valued Member
42 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hope this helps.

Edited by Mr. H - 10/28/2020 11:36 am
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same page in my edition I did not see any comma after wheeling and the block letters for the L-1e and the L-2r seem to me more elongated then the stamp I have. The example in the book is 4mm but mine is only 3mm. With the exception of the condensing on the lettering everything looks to be PSS 239.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2434 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
my guess: PSS-232
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds plausible. 232 could be a good number for it. They might have pressed harder than usual when printing it.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I just looked at the new style chart put out by the PSS this past July. According to definitions given in this 2020 edition the stamp could also be a PSS 205.

Only problem is the distance between the lines for the 205 is 12 1/2 the stamp is 12. The the rest of the description for the 205 matches the stamp. Also the 5th edition has the height of the lettering at 2mm and the 2020 has the 205 at 3mm. So I'm going by the newer catalog.

The answer for this one is between - a best guess interpretation - and or where it fits best.
I know that what ever number I label it will be ok. Because the collection after all is for my enjoyment.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add precanceler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wheeling did not use a 205, that IS a 232.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vacuum man to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Precanceler thank you and Chasa for your expert opinion on this stamp. I am learning there is a lot to identify some stamps.
  Replies: 9 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05