Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 630 - White Plains Sheet Of 25 And Angled Corners

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 685Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add knick1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm missing this sheet and it doesn't seem to appear in for-sale albums often! So I am researching. I see many perfectly square sheets around, but a fair number where the corners look snipped. Is this as-issued? Is it considered a negative, or would anyone be ok with this over a fully square sheet? I captured a small images from an example I saw online:

TIA,

Nick
Send note to Staff
Edited by knick1959 - 10/28/2020 12:43 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3054 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Natural from production.
The Scott Specialized explains this. To paraphrase, the press sheet of 4 souvenir sheets had diagonal clips at the upper right and upper left, thus half of all souvenir sheets will show this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to add: As far as I know, there is no premium (or penalty) for a sheet with or without the clipped corner. If YOU prefer one over the other, that's another thing, of course.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I get it now. First one I saw I thought was damaged. But I was seeing too many like this for it not to be something "real". I'm all clear on this now. And yes, I will likely still lean towards the full corner. Unless I find the other type in an example and price I like!
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   09:00 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've read this is referred to as a notch that was helpful in the printing process. Perhaps to orient the paper properly. I'd prefer a copy with this over one trimmed down to a square.
Mike Pascoe, PhD
https://linktr.ee/pascoe
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I price (and routinely get) about a $25 (hinged) or $50 (NH) premium for 630's with full selvage & no "notch." Truly sound 630's -- those that haven't been trimmed down somewhere, don't have a notch (although I don't consider that a fault) and don't have significant perf seps or NGC's are actually quite scarce!.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing that info, Ken. It's quite helpful.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
332 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually prefer the notch and coincidentally my copy has a notch. The notch on the sheet shown by OP looks more like a tear to me. Appears to have a very ragged edge
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 685Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05