Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Snag At Kelleher - Bill Langs Estate Auction?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,429Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jamesg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I only got 3 out of about 50 I bid on, though I only bid seriously on about 6 or 7 items. I picked up a 16, 27 pair, and a 30 pair which tidy up a few gaps.

What did you all think of the prices/action and flow?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
435 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think people are bidding/buying everything in sight! TBH, I was surprised how few lots had no bids. Not sure if this a short-term covid trend but the sheer quantity of material being matched up with $100s/1000s in bids tells me collecting isn't dead yet.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, most realizations were quite amazing, making it look like Bill's prices weren't as outrageous as most people thought. Apparently the grade of most of his stuff is VF/XF/Superb and commands extreme prices. Many items went for more than catalog which surprised me (I'm a novice at "real auctions", so please forgive my naivete).

Is there anyone here who can explain the prices for the 5-9's in particular, all of which were fantastic to downright extraordinary. Catalog be damned all over the place there. Most items went between 10-30% of catalog, but most 1-29's went for much, much more as I recall.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic US is always popular.

I suspect that Kelleher went through the Langs' stock and snatched out the best stuff to make up this sale. There may be specialized sales upcoming, like errors, but I don't know for sure. At some point, there will be a sale of cartons. What we are seeing currently is only the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, I believe the timing could not be better - we are currently in a spike of interest in the hobby. COVID? Maybe. There are probably other explanations, but that would be where I would put my money. We will only really know if it is temporary after the COVID gets beaten. I suspect there will be all kinds of people getting back to their normal non-philatelic lives. Hopefully, the hobby can hang on to a few. I expect there are 'newbies' that may get hooked (like most of us when we started) and prices will remain robust, at least compared to a year ago. But maybe all that is wishful thinking.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5029 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to think that those folks driven to, or back to collecting, by COVID and are buying hundred and thousand dollar stamps are not fly-by-night. They are serious. If indeed that is who is driving the enthusiasm bus.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only speculating, but it would seem that to get that good a sell-through would require some dealer support. Before covid, it often felt to me, in areas I follow, that dealer support appeared thin often, and when present, it was often Bill himself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4974 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to believe this increase in stamps sales to people staying home is carrying over to wealthter people who are not going on vacation.

Just read a few different postings in other sections on this board about how auctions have jumped up in interest .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2448 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   01:25 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised to see several stamps described as reperfed sell for over Scott. I don't understand.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was surprised to see several stamps described as reperfed sell for over Scott. I don't understand.

Maybe Bill was bidding somehow? I wouldn't get it either. A perfectly centered stamp with one side reperfed is not a perfectly centered stamp. Perhaps the reperfing job was pretty good and someone thought they could 'misplace' a cert and sell it as an XF/S example and make $$$. Maybe Bill isn't quite gone afterall.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe Bill was bidding somehow? I wouldn't get it either. A perfectly centered stamp with one side reperfed is not a perfectly centered stamp. Perhaps the reperfing job was pretty good and someone thought they could 'misplace' a cert and sell it as an XF/S example and make $$$. Maybe Bill isn't quite gone afterall.

I think mootermutt987 hit the nail on the head. It's unfortunate for the hobby, and only dealers themselves can clean it up the practice.

I'd think it would be interesting to know what percentage of the lots were, in fact, purchased by dealers. Kelleher would never divulge that figure, so we can only speculate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one part of the auction I wanted to play in the most (1851 1) was over by the time I got home from work. I watched and listened to the banknote portion and most started at prices higher than I was willing to bid. I did see quite a few lots being passed on. Looking forward to tomorrow's (Friday) session since my Thursday at work is booked.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5029 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a few Langs items that were genuinely good to great are not in this sale and I cannot help but thinking that they went to new homes via private treaty. This sale was definitely not the best he had by a long stretch.
Learn More...
8606 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   08:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...so we can only speculate.

Agreed.
Threads like this often end up with speculations about speculation.
Don

Valued Member
250 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sort of a side issue on this topic ... I was looking at the Trans Mississippi's that go up today and notice that most (all?) of the mint $2 Eads Bridge have large areas of oxidation in the color. Wouldn't this be a huge negative or are there techniques to "change" it back to a pure orange brown? The bids don't seem to be impacted by this but am I not seeing things correctly. I notice the used ones look OK. Thanks.
Learn More...
8606 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes some buyers buy stuff based on who the seller is. Some dealers or collectors can get away selling some stuff in some conditions that others cannot sell for the same or higher prices. Famous name sales or auctions can usually do this.
Edited by jogil - 10/29/2020 09:57 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,429Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05