Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Snag At Kelleher - Bill Langs Estate Auction?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,457Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Perhaps the reperfing job was pretty good and someone thought they could 'misplace' a cert and sell it as an XF/S example and make $$$. Maybe Bill isn't quite gone afterall."

In the case of the lots I noticed, they did haver certs that didn't mention the reperfing, so if they had an "offending" cert they had already been lost.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by eyeonwall - 10/29/2020 10:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Quite a few Langs items that were genuinely good to great are not in this sale and I cannot help but thinking that they went to new homes via private treaty"

What makes you think they will not show up in a subsequent Langs sale?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:19 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Famous name sales or auctions can usually do this."

or infamous as the case may be
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The auction catalog for the sale does state "The William S Langs stock and private holdings" part 1. So looks like a couple more sales coming in the near future.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   11:53 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My only pick up from Langs - 400A NH 90J
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a beauty! I was able to get 3 of the 8 lots I bid on including a nice C15 to complete my Zeppelins, Scott 505 block of 12 with double error and a nice 454 strip of 4 with joint line and cert.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to get two lots over the first today days and I probably overpaid for one of them as it has a cert identifying reperf along the bottom, but, but but ... I wanted the invert!

I don't know who was behind each paddle number, but FWIW, I counted the following "top" buyers:
Book - 272 lots
I369 - 110 lots (really active day 2)
I545 - 75 lots
I19 - 65 lots
I577 - 51 lots
Agent accounted for at least 102 lots
Telephone bidders accounted for at least 50 lots with T1 getting 12.

While it's possible that I369, 545, 19, and 577 were buying for their own collections, I am very very skeptical.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are always dealers at these auctions - one shouldn't be surprised by that.
Valued Member
118 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fantail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truthfully, you should never lose out to a dealer. He has to buy to re sell, we are buying for pleasure.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RLSNY - not surprised by the number of dealers. Surprised that the retail buyers (collectors!) weren't sufficiently interested in so many lots.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 11/05/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought for sure with the election and everything else going on it would be a couple of weeks until I received my lots. They arrived today, quite impressed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 11/06/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Truthfully, you should never lose out to a dealer. He has to buy to re sell, we are buying for pleasure".

For single item lots that is generally true, although sometimes dealers act as agents for a customer. But for large lots, dealers usually win them; they are usually much more experienced in both examining and knowing the real market value of those lots.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 11/06/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Truthfully, you should never lose out to a dealer. He has to buy to re sell, we are buying for pleasure

As an eBay dealer I always thought this to be true, but after a long hiatus I started collecting again. I came across a lot at Dutch country that I really wanted for myself. I didn't realize until after I'd lost that suddenly as a collector I was bidding with my own $ and had placed a paltry bid at 150% of estimate. When I bid in Dutch country auction for my eBay business my standard bid is 200% of high estimate+1 increment. Strange how the mind works.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,457Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05