Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 US Consular Service Fee Stamps Used At Malta

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 348Next Topic  
Valued Member
Malta
119 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a Malta passport from 1920 and it contained the following US consular revenue stamps, cancelled at the US Consulate in Malta on 1 September 1920. They also have an embossed cancellation from the same consulate.

I don't have a catalogue which covers US revenues, but through the website https://www.stamp-collecting-world....onsular.html I think I identified them as Scott RK17 and RK18 (they are perf 11). Can anyone confirm if the website is reliable and if the identification is correct please?

What would be the approximate market value for these stamps used on a document? I suspect that they're not rare (quite a few are available online at the moment) but it would be interesting to know nonetheless.

Cancellations on some countries' consular stamps are sometimes sought after just as much as (if not more than) the actual stamps themselves - the UK comes to mind since a wide variety of cancellations from around the world can be found on its Consular Service stamps. Is this also the case in the US, or do collectors focus only on the stamps rather than the cancellations?

Finally, do any revenue collectors here have US consular stamps used in Malta? It would be great to see other examples!

Any other comments or further information would also be greatly appreciated. :)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The identification is correct. The fee for visas was indeed $9.00.

As to value, most collectors shun those that have embossing. The $2.50 pair is quite off center. The Scott catalog value for VF is $7.20. If they were off document I doubt they are worth more than half catalog. On document I personally would not be interested in if the price was above catalog, even though they were used in Malta. Visas are among the more common uses of the consular fee stamps that survive on document.

The American Revenue Association website has a search capability for their journal and a complete list of uses and rates was published beginning in the November 1968 issue and continuing for at least two more issues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
Malta
119 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply revenuermd!

I bought these partly because I liked the document (even though it has condition issues) and partly because I liked the usage of US revenues at the Malta consulate.

Thanks for pointing out the resources on the American Revenue Association website - I was not aware of them. I looked through the 1968/69 issues and found the articles related to consular fees and they are quite informative. I also randomly looked through some of the other issues and it seems that there is a lot of interesting content.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7101 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The best thing about this is that they are pairs, most of the time the usages are single stamps. Multiples, even pairs, are less common.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05