Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cherrystone Improved Live Bidding Plus Audio

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 548Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5026 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Received this today:

We are pleased to announce a new and improved design of our live bidding platform, CherrystoneLIVE. With simpler to use features and audio, both existing and new users will enjoy this live bidding experience. We invite everyone to take advantage of the new platform during our upcoming November 10-11 sale of U.S. and Worldwide Stamps and covers. For existing users, your login information will remain the same. New users may click here to register.
Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions.
Paul Buchsbayew Josh Buchsbayew

This comes after Siegel's announcement. I do believe that there is a pattern here. Something (Provenance Feature?) is driving these auction firms to establish and fortify their own bidding platforms outside of SAN.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is unfortunate if they all "go their own way" for collectors/users. It would be better if SAN was even more tightly integrated so there was a one-stop shopping experience and you never needed to even go to the auction house's site (i.e. payment integration)

I haven't seen the siegal or cherrystone tools, but possibly they don't hide the bids like the Agent Bidding feature does from the auction house? That feature makes internet bidding more competitive against the floor in my opinion.

I suspect there's 'new blood' coming into the auction houses and they believe that SAN doesn't look modern and slick and these new platforms are being sold a the shiny new thing (even if less capable in some areas?) I think the individual features (bidding, unattended bidding, provenance, SAN 1000, what else?) are pretty good, I find the interface like a maze though where you can get lost or end up somewhere you didn't expect to very easily.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that I heard Scott Trepel announce that Siegel would no longer be listing their auctions at SAN. To me that meant that Siegel would not only use only their own bidding platform, SAN would no longer even be able to list Siegel's sales. If that happens, the Provenance feature will really lose value unless SAN intends to enter it all the auction data manually.
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is more than "SAN doesn't look modern and slick and these new platforms". Folks do not seem to understand that the majority of online users use a mobile device.

Yes, this 'demographic' (stamp collectors) is a bit more likely to be behind the technology curve but the move to 'mobile friendly' websites started over 10 year ago. Additionally, I do not buy into SAN's previous post about the age of the people using their website; when I signed up for SAN no one asked me how old I was. And in fact no one has to blow smoke about the 'age' of the users on a website when discussing access. The website server log files clearly indicates how many users are trying to use mobile devices. On this site and on Stamp Smarter the number of users using mobile devices continues; on Stamp Smarter it is very close to 50%.

Lastly, even using the web server log files you have to understand how folks are using the site. With online auction services, it is likely that some users would only access SAN's with their mobile device to monitor or bid during an auction. This would be during the day, but at night they might access the site on a desktop computer.

So it is critical that SANS have a modern site design. Their current design has a separate 'mobile' link with its own set of pages. This is silly and inefficient, a modern design would allow them to have a single set of pages which dynamically resizes itself based upon the resolution of the user's device. This is not bleeding edge, it was bleeding edge a decade ago.
Don
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several smaller auction firms already do what Siegel is doing. They still list on SAN. You can still bid electronically on SAN, up till they go live on their own platform which makes bidding on SAN kinda useless if it's live bidding elsewhere only (unless you're the guy who bids a enormous amount as your one bid).

Pretty much makes SAN nothing but a list of auctions to go look at and keep tabs on while you actually bid elsewhere on firm's own sites. I much prefer the centralized plan of having them at least available on SAN with live bidding taking place there AND on the auction firm's site.

It is, what it is.

I certainly agree that these provenance listings showing what items went/didn't go for is NOT in the auction firm's best interest. The bidders? Yes.

Definitely see that as a large part of staying in house and not listing on SAN for many places.
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   3:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI
In the next few days, I will be posting a link to demonstrate how my local stamp club is doing online auctions. I built a simple online database where sellers can upload their listings/images (hi-res) and an online catalog is automatically built in real-time. Folks can browse the listings in the catalog for days/weeks before the auction.

The live auction is then run through Zoom using a screen share. Each lot is idsp0layed on everyone's screen, buyers bid in real-time just like a 'in person' auction. Our club takes no money and charges nothing to participate. The transaction/shipping etc. is done between the seller and the buyer.

I'll post a link which shows all of this in the next week or so including our Sept auction. It is fun, simple and there are no fees to sell or buy. I already have another club asking for the same thing and have developed this same thig for them. I am thinking about doing one for this community via Stamp Smarter. It is all done in responsive modern design so it works on any device.

In my opinion 'grassroot' online auctions like this might become a major part of our hobby moving forward.
Don

Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To echo 51Studebaker's point on mobile devices....my credit union is a billion dollar company with a POS AOL looking mobile banking site. Desktop not much better either. These places/companies need to ramp up or they are going to be left in the dust.

Myself, I don't use mobile very often. Rarely actually. Everything is laptop for me buuuuuuuuuut I have many, many friends much younger than me and they are 100% mobile app connected. Most do not even own laptops or desktops. Everything from ordering food, surfing the web, chat, email, buying online, everything...is from their phone. Literally everything. A lot of companies are missing the grade not going the extra mile to address that.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is stampsmarter totally responsive (I haven't tried it on my phone frankly). Very nice work, by the way - love what you've done with it.
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Stamp Smarter is responsive.

Folks on desktops can quickly check if a site is responsive by simply resizing your browser window to emulate the size of a tablet or smart phone.
You can also check a site using this tool
https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

But note that responsive design is more than just dynamitic resizing of the screen. Fat fingers/no mouse have to be accommodated including simplified navigation menus, text sizes adjusted, and pages should support finger swiping.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5026 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOVE the recognition of fat fingers. Drives me nuts!
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given how much SAN has moved into selling services around all the data has collected, I wonder if there's been any attempt whatsoever to share the revenue associated with the new data services with the auction houses that generate it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5026 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that if the walls of these auction firms could talk they would tell a tale of unhappiness with the transparency that the so-called provenance feature provided. For myself it would temper unbridled enthusiasm for some lots when I can see in front of my nose previous prices realized for a given item, that the item may have "sold" but not really sold three times in the past year (did it not pass an extension muster?) and most of all that a previous description called-out a fault but the current sale did not etc.. The transparency provided offered zero benefit to the House that I can see and a whole lot of benefit to the bidder. I do not believe much in coincidence and if Cherrystone pulls out of SAN like Siegel is apparently going to do (not confirmed) there is likely a common thread. If a third auction house of note makes the move it is absolutely not coincidence. Which would all be kind of sad because I really like SAN and I think that transparency is positive for the hobby overall.

Time will tell if it is much ado about nothing. I will continue to use and support both SAN and the Houses of Cherrystone and Siegel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2446 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be they don't want their bidders looking at all the other auctions on SAN?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
589 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don's point about a redesign for mobile responsiveness is spot on.

I'm one of those that often use my phone for browsing for various reasons. My teenagers use theirs for everything. Tried using SAN on a phone this summer for some auction (Kelleher I think) as I didn't have my computer with me and soon gave up in frustration. It is horribly unsuited for mobile. So effectively the auction house lost potential business due to the bidding platform they were using.

~Greg

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam - The provenance function from SAN is useful and probably is, for the informed buyer, shedding useful light on the true value of a stamp. I have found the Siegel PowerSearch function to be very useful in finding both comparables and, on occasion, the same stamp. But that is limited to one company's auction results.
Valued Member
75 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received the following Breaking News from Siegel:

Quote:
Siegel sales will no longer be listed on Stamp Auction Network, and you cannot use SAN to bid in our auctions. We are using a new internet bidding platform.

You may now bid directly on our website by going to https://bid.siegelauctions.com

If you are approved to bid in Siegel sales on SAN, you just need to create a password to begin bidding. Please follow these steps:
1. At the Login screen, click FORGOT PASSWORD or go directly to: https://bid.siegelauctions.com/forgot-password
2. Enter your email and click SEND RESET EMAIL
3. You will receive an email with a link to reset password. Follow the link.

Once again, starting with our Worldwide sale on December 14 and U.S. and Hawaii sale on December 15-18, you will no longer be able to bid with SAN.

Please register to bid before the first sale day.

If you have any difficulty or have questions, please call 212-753-6421 or email us at stamps@siegelauctions.com

Thank you,
Scott Trepel

So it's official that Siegel is out of SAN. Its auctions will not even be listed on SAN!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 548Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05