Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hip Raises $5m Bond Series

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 392Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
591 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. If you peel back the typical business BS about "disruption and "revolutionary", hopefully this results in improved features for sellers/buyers on Hipstamp. From an active seller's perspective, although it's pretty easy to bulk list, manage items and fulfill orders, there are some missing features in the product compared to eBay/Delcampe.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
387 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once features are built up and a good enough marketplace of sellers and buyers (a.k.a. "members") is in place, how can they expand?
Perhaps by buying up a competitor platform?
Or perhaps looking to add another specific colllectible area to their portfolio so they can grow more? My teenage son tells me Pokemon cards are hot.
Or do they just need a cash infusion to hold them over while they get their comic book marketplace populated?

I cannot help but note that this Press release was by Josh Sparrow ... I believe that's Jack Sparrow's younger brother.... Never went to sea, but did just fine selling short and long planks, parrots, and peglegs.
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is eBay, the biggest and most active online stamp marketplace?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
591 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@jogil - It seems to depend on area
In North America - eBay, Hipstamp, then Delcampe
In Europe - Delcampe or eBay
Overall, Delcampe is bigger (more listings) than Hipstamp/Hippostcard combined. It has also been around longer.
Not sure about other regions, certainly see far more Asian & Australian buyers on Delcampe than Hipstamp.

@jleb1979
Interesting question - they have stamps, postcards, comics now - other collectibles could certainly be planned - coins, collectible toys, etc. I'm not sure who they could buy - they're still pretty small...
One feature, or problem depending on your viewpoint, with their model is that their stamp/postcard/comic stores are completely separate. So I wanted to list a postcard/comic it's a separate storefront (same look & feel of course), whereas eBay/Delcampe can support many types of products being listed. It does allow them to theoretically specialize more on the specific product, but I'm not a fan of the approach myself.

PS - Josh Sparrow is in their marketing group - nice guy.

Edited by gmot - 10/29/2020 10:08 pm
Learn More...
8605 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   02:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you peel back the press release puffery, they are going into significant debt with a VC. Depending on how it is structured, this can range from 'laissez-faire' to 'we are in your operational shorts' to 'after X period of time you either pay us back or we take over your company'. VCs always talk a great game and companies always present themselves as a wonderful investment; it is not often that both are true but hopefully it works out for HS.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
591 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, getting in bed with a VC is a definite risk for a company, especially a smaller one like Hip. We'll see if their fees change (sub and/or per transaction) due to this as well.

~Greg
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Must be nice having sold a company and then buying it back for less. (If this is what has happened.) Then getting investors interested in the company who are able to provide money for the company to use for business purposes. If the offering is in bonds rather than stocks, then it may be more risky for the company if anything goes wrong. Isn't the FED buying up corporate bonds these days? Some companies prefer this rather than from other companies or investors buying their bonds.
Edited by jogil - 10/30/2020 07:20 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05