Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has This Ever Happened To You? What Would You Say And/Or Do?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,044Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You find an auction lot that you are interested in and you bid and lose out to someone else. Then later you get an email from a dealer that you had submitted a want list to previously now telling you that he has the stamp that you are looking for. He tells you a puff story of how hard it was for him to get this stamp and that he saw it somewhere by chance and got it with me in mind like he did me a big favor. You realize from the scans that he sent you that the stamp is the same exact one that you had bid on in the auction and lost to someone who you now realize must have been this dealer. Now he's asking you for a much much higher price than what it went for in the auction. What would you say and/or do?
Send note to Staff
Edited by jogil - 10/30/2020 08:23 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2527 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would you say and/or do?

In that situation, I'd tell him that I was the underbidder.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with Phil. imo however you did submit a want list for the item. I think that offering a small markup on the item would not be out of line. how important to you is both the item and your relationship with this dealer?
how difficult would it be to obtain both the item and another relationship?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd offer 20% less than the underbid :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also would let the dealer know that I know the real story and offer a reasonable price that gives them a reasonable (to me) profit.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3059 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would play my cards slowly. I would let him know that you were the underbidder and await his response without making any offer.
Valued Member
Learn More...
463 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why even bother with a seller that has demonstrated his integrity or lack there of?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer is in business to make money. How is trying to maximize his profit a lack of integrity? The puffed up story stinks and he probably would have been better off just offering the stamp without it.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like John Becker's proposed response. In the end, I'd offer him what you originally bid on the item and no more. He can recoup his cost, and afterall, did you not bid as much as you were willing to pay already? Otherwise, let the dealer keep his winnings and you can keep looking. It is, tho, all up to you.
Valued Member
42 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with knick1959, let him know you were the underbidder. If you weren't willing to bid higher why would you pay him more?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2448 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   11:56 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I'd offer him what you originally bid on the item and no more. He can recoup his cost"

The dealer had to bid higher than what jogil bid, so he would lose money selling at jogil's bid.

Telling a phony story is wrong, but of course he ws going to mark up the price. If you don't reach a deal with the dealer, then don't expect to get any other offers from them (which may or may not be fine with you).
Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sotwuser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OMG, I can't believe the responses to this thread.

To the OP, you created this situation, take responsibility for your mistake and pay the dealer a reasonable markup for the item. Stop coming onto the internet to get sympathy and justification for a decision you know is wrong.

To the other replies, the OP did not provide any information about the item, so how do you know the item wasn't hard to find? Do most collectors submit common, easy-to-find items on want lists? I don't see any falsehoods by the dealer in the story the OP told.

Moral of the story: Don't bid on items you have submitted on a want list. But I doubt you will learn from this mistake.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what was your bid? what was the original winning bid (+auction commission)? what is he offering at? What % over your final bid (+commission) was the winning? Offer +%5-10% if not exceeding Cat Value. If not superb condition (for premium $$) keep searching.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Moral of the story: Don't bid on items you have submitted on a want list. But I doubt you will learn from this mistake.

Huh? What kind of logic is this? If a stamp you want is, you know, on your want list submitted to some/any random dealer, you're not supposed to search on your own? That makes no sense at all!

And you are puzzled by the other replies? What a terrible "mistake" for the OP to have made. In case it was missed, that was said in an extremely sarcastic manner.
Edited by knick1959 - 10/30/2020 1:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3059 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot of the original story missing or paraphrased, but I gather jogil's want list did not include prices for various conditions of the wanted items, but rather an open-ended list.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
429 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Two facts of life. Dealers are out to make as much money as they can while maybe trying to develop a relationship with a collector.

Buyers are trying to pay as little as possible for an item while maybe trying to develop a relationship with a dealer.

How does the price he is asking compare to the normal market value for the item ? If it it much higher then tell him so and make a counter offer.

If it is about the normal market price then pay it if you want the item that much. In that case it appears that you did not want to pay anything like market price in the first place.

If it is so rare that there is no normal market price established then it is up to you but it I assume your bid reflected what you thought you should pay.

AQ
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,044Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05