Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has This Ever Happened To You? What Would You Say And/Or Do?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,054Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
8606 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion submitting a typical want list is not the same as making a commitment to buy. It is a notice to a dealer that you are interested in these items and if he has them to let you know the price and availability. The puffery aside I see no wrongful behavior here; dealers make their money when they buy, not when they sell. I would let him know you were the underbidder. Whether or not you continue the relationship would depend on how you feel the puffery's relationship to his honesty/integrity.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
586 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal approach would be to consider two questions:

1/ Is this a relationship I wish to keep?
2/ Is the price he is asking one I would pay?

In neither case would I mention that I knew about the "puffery".

I would just make an offer I am willing to pay and leave it at that.

Personally, the "puffery" would turn me off but to each his own. I know dealers need to make a profit but I prefer a bit more "honesty" in a dealer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4984 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the responses here are head scratchers, especially the implication that the dealer is somehow doing something unethical by daring to want to make a profit. Oh, the humanity!

I agree with the recommendation to alert the seller as to your awareness about the auction in question. See if you can come to a compromise. If not, then walk away.

He is not obligated to sell to you at your price, and you are not obligated to buy from him at his price.

I personally have purchased items from both Eric and Richard that they purchased at auction where I bid against them. They have deeper pockets; they won. I had to ask myself whether the pieces were still desirable enough for me to pay their markup (in some cases almost double). Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.

Welcome to the free market.
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Studebaker, Dadeo, and revenuecollector. I wouldn't get too offended about the 'story'. Go ahead and tell YOUR story - you were the underbidder, you know what he paid, and you know that he paid it last week (or whenever this happened). As Dadeo said, decide what your relationship to this dealer is worth. Either let him know that your high bid WAS your price, so "Thanks, but no thanks", or that you may be open to a reasonable price based on what you already know - let him re-offer, or make your own offer.

In the end, he HAS to know that there was a chance that he was bidding against you. I don't think this is a big 'lesson to be learned' for you, but perhaps for him. If he is reasonable, he will understand the situation as it is. If he gets upset, maybe it is NOT a relationship you should cultivate.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a dealer I take want lists - but with the provision that they are only valid for a short period of time.

As a buyer - I am not obligated to purchase items from it.

Yes it has to go both ways because time does not stand still for buyers or sellers.
Valued Member
396 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The exact same thing has happened to me. The emotions of "wanting but missing out" are strong, but the dealer did top your bid.

Just share your side of the story and see what happens. Often, when a dealer sees an opportunity to buy a customer, he/she will set aside some profit to cultivate a relationship.
Valued Member
Learn More...
464 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   3:24 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies for my post. After reading the OP again it was unwarranted.
Paul
Valued Member
Learn More...
406 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If a collector gets outbid by a dealer, the collector didn't want the lot very much, even more so if the lot was a single stamp and it was on a want list.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would let him present his "best and final" and mention nothing about being the lower bidder. He already knows.

Jack Kelley
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30193 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I endeavor to reduce any trade, to just "Offer and acceptance"
Leave emotions out of it.

I have had 2 examples this past week.

My Plant nursery, texted me my Callistomens have arrived, and the 10 x Lilly Pillys are still not available.

I have had to email, confirming my prev advice, purchase is conditional ONLY upon prior advice of price.

Then the Electrician, phones me his quote, "work was too involved, I can only do "hourly rate" ($165 per hour) 2 days
(I'll be looking elsewhere)

With the stamp, I'd be offering my best price, and leave it at that.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,054Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05