Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Pre 1900 Stamps Off Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 285Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gjmmaddog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have some old envelopes, most in bad condition.

Should I remove the stamps in order to better identify their Scott# or is it best to keep the stamp on cover.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Show pictures please
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   08:52 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends.
Mike Pascoe, PhD
https://linktr.ee/pascoe
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gjmmaddog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'll get back to you all with pictures at some point

Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning gjmmaddog,

Yes, scans please. A damaged envelope does not help the value of a cover as postal history but does not destroy it either. Please look for markings on the back side of each item as they document the travels of some envelopes through the mails. The most common stamp can have much greater value if left on a damaged cover.
Edited by hoosierboy - 10/30/2020 09:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6118 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please don't remove stamps from envelopes. By leaving them intact it paints a better picture than just the stamp by itself.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3062 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without images, it is hard to make a learned or specific response, but as a postal historian, several thoughts come to mind:

1. Leave covers and documents intact - even if ratty - especially if one is a beginner and does not fully understand all the varied facets of postal history of the cancels, rates, routes, senders, recipients, messages, etc.

2. Don't get too caught up in "I must ID this stamp" to the detriment of destroying something more valuable. Most stamps can be ID'd on cover, or at least narrowed down to 2-3 types, which is often sufficient. I can show examples which I can only ID to one of two cheap varieties on a $100+ cover due to its postal history aspects. Do I destroy the $100 cover to find out which 15 cent stamp I have? No.

A good example is Scott 331 and 374, one cent Franklin stamps differing only by double line vs single line watermark. Both were workhorse stamps of their era. Both catalog at the nominal 25 cents used. I may be able to confirm the earlier type by the postmark date, but otherwise the value of the mail piece is driven by the other postal history aspects which may be considerable.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6118 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a case in point. Removing this stamp leaves you a cheap almost worthless stamp. Leaving it on cover shows it being used in France.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05