Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Ebay Sellers - Arrival Date

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,769Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Very strange. I had actually typed something else in here. Didn't catch that the post text was lost somehow.

I had an eBay purchase arrive yesterday. The estimated delivery window was 10/27-10/29.

When going to leave feedback, it asks if the item arrived by 10/29.

If I answer no to that question, does the seller get dinged by eBay?

Dale
Send note to Staff
Edited by StatesmanStamper - 10/31/2020 06:43 am

Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where's the question?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1696 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arrival date is soon after you've paid :-)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
418 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae: Don't bet on that. The US Postal Service is so screwed up right now that it is admitting that deliveries are running very late. Add in that postal resources are prioritizing ballot handling at the moment, and that will slow mail even further.

A seller and I are both still waiting for a registered shipment to show up 28 days after it was mailed. There has been no tracking activity since Oct 6. No one knows where it is, AND THIS IS REGISTERED MAIL - locked pouch and the need to be signed for at every station that handles it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5007 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   12:14 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Question for eBay Buyers: Purple?
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector -

Answer: Yes. Well, usually. But never on Tuesdays.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I edited the original post to ask the question I had typed in yesterday.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure one should even ask the question in the present circumstances. Postal services in most countries will be disrupted by Covid. And they have been further disrupted in the US by intervention by the Postmaster-General, which reduced on-time delivery rates from 95% in July to 82% in mid-October. Marking someone down because a letter or packet was a day late really isn't on.
Learn More...
8635 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   07:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know if eBay dings them or not, hopefully not.

The USPS has been downsizing for the last 20 years and the current Postmaster is continuing the trend (but is only now 'news' in the current hyperpolitical environment) The downsizing is related to the sharp decline in First Class Mail, the volume has dropped each year in the last 20 years and is now the same as it was over 40 years ago. The reduction in infrastructure and resources has been going on for years and years. For example, the number of collection mailboxes declined by more than 12,000 nationally from 2011 to 2016.

The postal unions have not been happy with the downsizing and this is reflected in morale and work slow downs. At the same time, the USPS is trying to transition to a parcel delivery service and volume is up more by more than 5 billion parcels since 2014. Parcels often require more physical effort to process, parcels are heavier than First Class Mail and typically require the postal person to get out of the vehicle and walk to the house. Again, not a trend that the postal unions/employees are happy about.

My postal person is a nice person but she is very unhappy with decline of the First Class mail volume and increase in parcel services. She says she has a shoulder issue and cannot lift more than a few pounds. Her Postal Union made the case for her and the USPS has now added a new, second delivery route that goes behind her and delivers just the parcels weighing more than a few pounds. I have not yet figured out the exact delivery schedule but it appears to run at least Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It has sometimes added an extra day to the parcels that I am receiving but the extra day you are seeing could be due to something like this.

The decline of First Class Mail is part of the evolution of the postal service that has been occurring since it began. When RFD service was established in the late 1890s, it was a huge impact. Small post offices closed by the thousands. Countless postmasters and employees lost their jobs. The Postal Service survived and adapted. It will do the same now but in the other side of the paradigm shift the USPS will look a lot more like UPS or FedEx.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that the original post has been re-created after the glitch ... let's take the question in a different direction.

eBay feedback is a waste of time as a buyer and as a seller. Don't fret about it, just stop doing it and use those minutes of your life for something more productive.
Learn More...
8635 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   08:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...eBay feedback is a waste of time as a buyer and as a seller. Don't fret about it, just stop doing it and use those minutes of your life for something more productive.

Quoted for truth.
I quit using the eBay feedback system a few years ago.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's a waste of time, I use it. I think sellers like to know their product arrived safely. I don't care about the actual arrival date, if the product shows up as described then I tick all the boxes. Could it be better? Sure. But it does get used and somewhat serves a purpose since people like me read seller feedback before buying. Also, there are good sellers out there.
Learn More...
8635 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Except that anyone can go buy an exiting eBay account; you can buy existing, aged accounts today and have your store setup in an hour. For example, for $200 you can have an aged account with 871 positive Feedbacks as shown here

There are many places online to buy (and sell) existing, aged eBay accounts. The eBay feedback system only serves eBay, not buyers or sellers since you cannot tell how long the current owner actually has been the current owner.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
464 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don: Had no idea eBay was doing that! IMO, That is just plain wrong. I am certainly not the only one who still considers feedback in making a purchase.
Thanks for posting.
Paul
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure it's not eBay doing it, but they allow it to happen. The feedback numbers are not very useful, in part because of this, but the detailed comments can have some value. If all the feedbacks are just A+++++++++++++++++ etc - not very useful. But when people but in more detailed feedback like "stamp exactly as described" or "had a small issue and seller handled it professionally" you get more information. I admit to being rather proud of the feedback on my account.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is anyone suggesting that a vast number of eBay accounts are bought and sold? To move from concern about some dirty tricks to taking a worst case view of the whole feedback system doesn't make sense.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,769Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05