Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Ebay Sellers - Arrival Date

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,712Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't eBay buying/selling accounts (they have no feasible way to actually vet an account), a 3rd party industry was established about 8 years ago that buy/sell eBay accounts. There are books published to help convicted criminals get back on their feet after serving their time; they recommend buying these kinds of established eBay accounts to 'get a running start' since setting up an online business is easier then finding a job with a criminal past.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See when the item was sent out by looking at the postmark. If it was sent out around the time when you paid, then the mail may have been slow and no fault of the sender. If the item was sent out much later than expected, then the sender may be at fault. Anyways, if you are happy with the transaction and it wasn't the seller's fault, give the seller the benefit of the doubt and say it was received within or on time.
Edited by jogil - 10/31/2020 10:43 am
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Is anyone suggesting that a vast number of eBay accounts are bought and sold? ...

A vast number? No, but it would be na´ve to think that eBay actuals vets ANY account. This allow people to buy/sell accounts, allows people to have 40-50 accounts, and/or allows people to do other unethical things. (And keep in mind that eBay also regularly removes negative feedbacks which further makes the Feedback system useless.)
How many eBay sellers and buyers have had at least one ripoff transactions? Given the posts we have in this community it appears to be a significant percentage.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
998 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some things eBay could fix and some they can't so easily fix. The fact that people are ripped off is a result of having a large marketplace. You would have the same result if you asked how many people have ever been ripped off at a swap meet. Any large market will have good some good people and some not so good. Don't think for a minute that buying on another platform insulates you from that. The best advice is always to get to know your sellers, get to know your buyers, know your products.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1361 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my customers opened a "Did not receive case" here is the tracking;

All I can say is I'm glad I voted in person!!

Edited by KRelyea - 10/31/2020 1:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5026 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   2:31 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although the ability to buy an existing eBay account causes me to cringe, it seems such a process, including the purchase of existing feedback, would come under the heading of 'good will,' a part of any transaction included in the purchase of a brick and mortar, or any type of, business. That's likely the reason why eBay ignores it.
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   3:01 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi docgfd,
The issue is larger than simply buying aged accounts with pre-existing feedbacks; this is just one of a number of reasons that the Feedback is flawed and loses much (some would argue all) of its value.

eBay faced a large problem when it startedů how do you get buyers to pay for something sight unseen, from an anonymous seller, potentially in a country where they buyer has zero legal recourse. In other words, they needed to tilt the playing field in favor of the buyer and do whatever they could to build buyer confidence. It was the only way the entire platform would work, without buyer confidence the business model fails.

So they titled the playing field in favor of the buyers and also implemented a buyer confidence building tool, the Feedback system. It is meant to build confidence in not knowing who you are sending your money to and hoping they will send you what you think you are buying. eBay is saying to buyers, 'don't worry, we and other buyers have vetted these sellers'.

But truthfully and as we now know, eBay has no feasible method for vetting a seller. You could setup your dog with an online bank account and get him an eBay account. Even worse, eBay is the fox guarding the henhouse; an actual feedback system would be controlled by a third party without a vested interest in making the scores look good. Anyone who has ever done any kind of retail business knows full well that it is impossible to do 50,000+ transactions without a single negative review. No matter how good you might be, bad reviews happen all the time. As we know, eBay removes negative feedbacks, especially for the high volume sellers.

And it works in the other direction too. If I have 40-50 eBay accounts (and many of the 'bad guys' do), then I can maliciously trash your feedback easily. It might cost some money to buy 5-10 of your cheapest listings, but you would never catch on that the buys and negative feedbacks were all coming from the same person. And keep in mind that that a person can do this to your eBay seller account for reasons beyond eBay (like they do not like what you posted in a forum, they think you had a lust filled look at their wife at a stamp show, or do not like your success).

eBay is pulling the wool over the eyes of people with a Feedback system that has holes large enough to drive trucks through it. They don't care as long as it falsely builds confidence with lots of people.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1361 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have occasionally wondered if I would consider selling my eBay account when I finally hang it up. I've looked at the sites that buy and sell sites and it looks like my account might be worth upwards of $15,000 which is at least enough to make me think about it. I've worked hard to build my business but it seems to me that unless the new owners sold stamps my customers would melt away in a week. The feedback would still be there but IMO the value of my account is in the followers and repeat customers and they would leave immediately.

Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could - both with or without eBay's approval. eBay, of course, officially disallows the transfer of accounts from one person to another. (Note how those which are for sale typically include online bank accounts and other ID things which gets transferred all together.) But you can indeed do some kinds of account transfers with eBay's blessing and support; for example from a personal account to a business account or if the account is part of a business sale.
Either way, you can count on eBay only doing light online verification on any eBay account; obviously they are not sending people out to knock on doors as part of any significant vetting.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5026 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out my new book "From Prison to Powerseller" - Ryle, Philip
Valued Member
180 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Delivery date window 10/27-29. Item arrives 10/30. Under the current circumstances I would say 5 stars and feedback of "fantastic seller" would be about right.

I had a priority mail package coming from 20 miles away that took over 2 weeks to get here(isn't that guaranteed 3 day delivery?). And delivery required the seller to intervene with the PO which was ping ponging the package between 3 local distribution sellers. Is that the sellers fault? Nope. Would I ever consider a response that might give the E-platform any leverage over the seller? Nope.

In this situation is there a possibility that eBay dings the seller? Yes. eBay's customers(like Amazon's) are the buyers. The sellers are just cannon fodder.

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1361 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know from very recent experience eBay does not verify names I've had Rodger Dodger, Cotton Tail etc all as Buyer Name (not userid) in the last month from the same address. Since they never pay me I don't know how they handle that. The eBay rep told me that people are allowed to register using any name they want.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5026 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You would think that a name such as Dill Pickle might raise some eyebrows. They can sniff out Cuba quick enough within a listing.
Learn More...
8602 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken,
Yes, eBay ignores name changes. There are eBay accounts with dozens of name changes; I can think of no legitimate reason for someone to change an eBay account name dozens of times. Any time I see an account with more than a few name changes I avoid them.

Of course eBay decided to get rid of the link which allowed you to lookup the eBay name change history earlier this year but there is a work-around for this. Save this link for future use if you want to be able to view an eBay account name history.

https://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...equested=xxx

Replace the "xxx" in the link above with the current account name you want to lookup. For example

https://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...ted=NYStamps

Note; You must be signed into eBay to use this link.

But eBay will lock your account if they find out that you transferred your account to someone else, this typically occurs if they see the account gets a new bank name, bank account number, user name, and address.
Don
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,712Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05