Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Washington/Franklin Fake Coils

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 394Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ehall928 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these stamps in a larger auction lot with no expectation of finding anything particularly valuable but I did have fun looking through them and finding the following.

Supposed Scott # 445
Supposed Scott # 446
Supposed Scott # 449

Starting with the 445. Perf 10 coil, single line watermark but it only measures 24 mm in height and the lower margin is cut at an angle.

Next up is the 446. Perf 10 coil, single line watermark. This one measures 25 mm in height but the top margin is cut poorly and I think the perfs on the left are questionable.

Finally the 449. This one is rotary press, perf 10, single line watermark, 25 mm high. It has a pencil cancel and a small thin on one corner. looks real but something about it bothers me besides the fact that I found it with these others. Even though it measures fine, is it too short? The perfs on the bottom look wonky too.

I guess I'm testing my critical skills at detecting these problem children. Any comments, advise, discussion, etc. is highly appreciated.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3062 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
on your last stamp ... 449 is a Type I, your stamps has the extra shading in the ribbons, so must be a type III.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ehall928 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops. I should have seen that--It's a 450 and probably legit. Learning every day!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05