Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Old Scotts International 1902

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,023Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add theswedish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Huge, heavy, colored maps etc. Leather bound. I have never seen these before. They arrived today, has anyone have information on this edition? They seem unusual

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Hell, More pictures Please!!! I love old albums.

Jack Kelley
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add theswedish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go, more pictures

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5027 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just so beautiful. Copyright/Edition Date?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add theswedish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1902 Copywright
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rates a "WoW"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2527 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are beautiful, like the end papers. But they will only stay that way by not using them. Get them half full and the bindings start straining!
Edited by littleriverphil - 10/31/2020 6:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
590 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful - works in art in themselves. Nice find!
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Akn 564 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the early twentieth century Scott offered the International Albums in several versions: Bound, and looseleaf in springback binders (with a couple choices of paper quality). Needless to say, the top of the line albums were quite expensive. The set you pictured appears to be in excellent condition; congratulations!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5027 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is somebody reproducing the 1908 Scott International deluxe album in leather with all of the bells and whistles and will customize:

https://www.biblio.com/print-on-dem...d/1229331943

Price is actually good for what it is. Pretty cool.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5179 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience of the Gibbons Ideal and Imperial reprints is that the paper's better, but the images are much less clear than originals from 100 years ago. And in this case, you'd have a random end-date resulting from the copy that the printing company happened to pick up, rather than a standard end-date used by collectors. Anyone seen one?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add theswedish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen the reproductions, they are not quite as good. The impressions, as you mentioned are not sharp, the text can sometimes be broken and difficult to read. The paper on the original is cotton based and is smooth to the touch. The paper is as heavy as the reproduction, but less thick. This give the originals paper a more quality feel and makes the album super heavy. The album I show in the images above weigh a ton. Since I posted this I have been googling away, looking at stampauctionnetwork etc and cannot find another image of these. Probably, due to its expense, there were few sold. As I don't collect world stamps I shall sell them, to someone who will treasure them I hope. They came in a box of Ideals and Imperials.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for showing. Reproductions are nice, but there's nothing like the real Mccoy.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Learn More...
463 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   08:22 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simply beautiful. Great find.
Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting find - wish I could get a set of these! Do they have spacers inserted every so often to help the album deal with bulging? I know some of the higher end SG albums (like the Ideal) had them.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add theswedish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No spacers but every country has one or two blank pages for extra stamps
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,023Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05