Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 2560 Used Before First Stay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Check NumOnes's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumOnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know it is not uncommon to find stamps used prior to the first day, especially in the 90's. Not my area, but came across one in a collection I purchased. This is #2560 used 8/20/91 in South Carolina. The first day ceremony was in Springfield, MA on 8/28/91.

My question is more about the cancel. Upstate, SC GMF 293 & 296. Upstate is a region in SC, not a city. Most of the zip codes in that area start 293 or 296. Guessing this is just some regional processing center? Apparently I just answered my own questions as I thought about it.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10439 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...regional processing center...

Correct. I believe it is the Greenville SC USPS Distribution Center which has been overwhelmed in the last few years as other Dist. Centers in the area have been closed and moved there (like Asheville NC).
Don

Edit:
Here is a spray cancel from this facility
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   12:21 pm  Show Profile Check NumOnes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know if there is a list of earliest pre-first day usage of stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
4298 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Early releases occur frequently. Linn's covered these quite regularly in this era. Here is their Sept 30, 1991 article with the 1991 year-to-date list including the basketball issue then known used as early as August 2.

Map from 1994 "National Five-Digit Zip Code and Post Office Directory" showing the sectional centers in South Carolina as close to 1991 as I have handy. The map agrees with the facer canceler impression shown by the original poster of the combined operations of the 293 and 296 zip areas at the GMF (General Mail Facility).

Edited by John Becker - 11/10/2020 1:25 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05