Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Computer Issue On My Laptop

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 644Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2020 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   11:02 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had Windows 10 on my Dell laptop ever since I got it in 2015.

A couple weeks ago I noted that the time did not change to Standard so went in and changed that. Now when I log on I do not get the regular screen with my links on dislay etc. I get some different thing that is usable..sort of. I cannot open up and play any games without them taking super long.

So I thought, OK I'll just go in and change it. Cannot. I get a mighty brief vision of my old screen when logging on; Any suggestions how to get that view on a permanent basis?

Note- if this ought to go elsewhere, please reposition.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32827 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ask here for advice
discussion forum
windows
windows 10 discussion (3rd line down)
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/10
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/14/2020 2:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2020 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   2:59 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK,thanks. I've been looking for some minor routine fix on my system. This feels like some routine thing to be corrected with a simple click. It may be related to an update of a few days or so ago. Going to wait and see if anone can suggest some minor adjustment.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32827 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You shall find that link extremely helpful.
My "go to" place for IT problems.

If I recall, there have been update problems posted recently,
you need to do some reading

TIP : be precise with the thread topic name if you post
"computer problem" will not cut it.
Edited by rod222 - 11/14/2020 3:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like your home page has been hijacked. In your search box type in Internet Properties and then see what it says for your home page. Try and change it to your original home page. If that does not work then you have been hijacked and that will require some additional work to eliminate the virus/hijacking.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you use system restore ? if you set a prior date for your system to backdate to - do it soon. I commonly use this if a microsh*& update goes sideways.
Edited by Rich60 - 11/14/2020 9:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
754 Posts
Posted 11/16/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you use system restore ? if you set a prior date for your system to backdate to - do it soon. I commonly use this if a microsh*& update goes sideways.

I agree. This is typically one of my 'easy' 'fixes'. Just because Microsoft says an update is a good thing, doesn't necessarily mean an update is a good thing.
Valued Member
30 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   04:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sotwuser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now when I log on I do not get the regular screen with my links on dislay etc. I get some different thing that is usable..sort of. I cannot open up and play any games without them taking super long.

If you are talking about your desktop and the shortcut icons, right-click on the desktop, select view and make sure the "Show desktop icons" option is checked.

If your programs are taking longer to load, open the Task Manager and see which programs are hogging the resources (memory, CPU, disk).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32827 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must confess, I am a bit of a slow learner

Finally took PostmasterGS' advice, and pinned my "Notepad" Icon to the task bar.

I can now type and proof read any long post, prior to pasting to SCF,
It was rather simple. Works a treat.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 644Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05