Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 Pr Series Catalogue Description Question

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,190Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
so I recently purchased a US PR series (Newspapers and Periodicals) stamp. It was marked as " (star)" in the catalog which by their legend is "unused, no gum/regummed". In the item description is reads, " without gum as issued, post office fresh, with clean smooth color on absolutely fresh paper; sound, Etremely Fine to Superb. Question: I was a sort of shocked to see a hinge remnant. Should that have been called out considering the description? Guessing if it were that (never hinged) it would have been 2 stars (Mint Never Hinged)...
Their Grading and Condition goes on to read: Superb - Extraoridinary item in the finest condition and Extremely Fine as - Outstanding and exceptional quality.

I just did not expect to see a remnant considering the above. Thoughts?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7320 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A remnant should be mentioned, but is hardly surprising on these. You should be able to remove it with some water and a small artists paint brush.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revcollector - 11/14/2020 5:07 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A remnant should be mentioned, but is hardly surprising on these. You should be able to remove it with some water and a small artists paint brush.

Thats kinda what I was thinking..... Weird. Another stamp had a tear that had been repaired and wasnt called out. But they said due to the word "faults" in the description, that was to be expected.

This particular stamp was very expensive so im almost inclined to call them on it. Just a little shocked I guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7320 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are happy with it otherwise, I would just remove it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7320 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like someone signed it a long time ago and the signature has faded.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5372 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it's "unused, no gum as issued", I'm not sure the presence of a hinge is relevant. Of course, if the hinge is hiding something ...
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tks all - this is only the 2nd auction I've ever participated in - so still learning and I was hoping to find out what is "norm". I was just expecting to have it mentioned if there was a remnant.

Might keep this thread going as now I have stamp described as PR61(var) but its actually a 9 not 8. So to me that would be catalog "unlisted".

Edited by Stamps4Life - 11/14/2020 5:59 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it looks like someone signed it a long time ago and the signature has faded.

yes. cant make it out - I see a j and a m I think. cant read the name
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your 8 cent newspaper stamp is either PR14 or PR38.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7320 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp seems a bit small, and the perfs seem a bit round; I wonder if it is a proof that has been played with.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This stamp seems a bit small, and the perfs seem a bit round; I wonder if it is a proof that has been played with.

not sure. doesnt seemed to be noted in the certificate. should be 24 x 35mm, right?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7320 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm talking about the 9 cent that was posted just above.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm talking about the 9 cent that was posted just above.

me too.
Learn More...
8987 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   02:25 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Left side perfs digitally compared to the the other sides

Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Left side perfs digitally compared to the the other sides

ahhh. Well thats disappointing. Im guessing you duplicated the L side and cut and pasted to expand them then made the comparison? Is that how you got them to be longer? So as mentioned, the cert from PSAG mentions nothing about this - just genuine unused, og, never hinged unlisted cat no.. While the auction cat states, og, never hinged, Post Office fresh, very fine, only known example of the 9 value

Hummm. Now im really stumped. I think that the auction house would be obligated to state these things. But im guessing thats why they put in "as is". So they go to the trouble of stating one of a kind, superlative singular example but dont mention that its maybe been buggered with ??? But it has no cat. number, so who knows whats its suppose to be. Either way I would think that the perfs are to match.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your 8 cent newspaper stamp is either PR14 or PR38.

tks . I dont have the 8. what I meant was that they lited the 9 as a varaint of the 8 and not as unlited catalogue number. I dont see how this can be a variant of a 8 when its an unlisted 9. Seems confusing to me.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,190Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05