Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 Pr Series Catalogue Description Question

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,175Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7315 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone with any kind of real interest in newspaper stamps should certainly read that section of the Luff book; there is much very interesting information in it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

He is suggesting that it might deserve a new catalog number of PR61A, not that such a catalog number exists.

Oh. I thought those come from Scott and not and expertiser or auction house??
Pillar Of The Community
3358 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
YES, Scott would assign a catalog number, but not infrequently auction catalogs take a stab at what number it should be in their descriptions. In this case for an auction description to suggest a 9 cent stamp is a variety of an 8 cent stamp is just plain laughable.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that's what I was thinking. Also, in the luff book, the 9 is blank - that is if I have the right page - 318

Edited by Stamps4Life - 11/15/2020 10:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7315 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a different edition, but the information regarding this 9 cent stamp is a page or two before. Order to the Contractors for a Special Printing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a different edition, but the information regarding this 9 cent stamp is a page or two before. Order to the Contractors for a Special Printing.

got it. that's on page 316 for me. I missed it. it my contents for the 1894 listing, it reads and starts on page 318.

Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got the digitized Google version. Cant tell if its the 1897 edition or 1902. its free if anyone is interested.
https://books.google.com/books/abou...LI_tAAAAMAAJ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7315 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you click on the words "postage stamps" in the Luff link, you get a huge listing of philatelic literature of all kinds.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbo...mary_r&cad=0

Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update - the auction house says they only mention hinge / hinge remnants if the stamp is gummed. Guess that's SOP ? Or maybe each house is different. I don't know.
Valued Member
Learn More...
345 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update: so I asked some more questions as to the 9 cent- description as listed, only one, etc... Never got an answer. But they took back that one and the PR40 and I got a refund promptly. Happy customer. As for the billing issue, they could never tell me why my invoice was 70.00 high - but they credited back to me so I wasn't actually charged. Glad I checked their math!! Everyone should check invoices before paying.....
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,175Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.96 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05