Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Scott #26B (Vertical Imperf) Or My First Blunder?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 774Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 11/16/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ecostic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently bought this cover and it arrived today.
I believe (or hope) it is a Scott #26b, which is a #26 with vertical imperforations. The margins seem pretty good, but I wanted to get some opinions before I send it off to APS. What do you think?

It is on an embossed advertising cover from Richmond Virginia, dated July 16th, 1859. The embossment doesn't show very well on scans, but it's on the left side.

Thank you for any feedback!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 11/16/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ecostic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find the other two known used singles on this page - about halfway down the page: http://www.usphila.com/us/stamp/pri...tt-26-page-2
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 11/16/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left side of your stamp is a natural straight edge (interpane margin) and there is simply not enough margin at right to 'prove' that this is imperf vertically. It is quite intriguing, and would garner interest in an auction, but there's not a certifying organization anywhere that would call it imperforate vertically. It is much more likely that this stamp came from a sheet with extra-wide stamps in the left-most column. Even if it REALLY DID start out imperf vertically, the user that cut it off the sheet to use it simply didn't leave enough 'evidence' at right. This is in the sweet spot - big enough to be interesting (and bring more $$$ than normal), but not big enough to 'prove' imperf vertically. It is nice! It is not THAT nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
10 out of 200 stamps have a straight left edge and 10 out of 200 have a straight right edge from being along the line that they used to cut the sheet of 200 into panes of 100.

Imperforate between stamps require 2 whole or almost whole stamps without even the trace of perforations between them.

Nice cover, but not the imperf variety. As noted above, it is a guideline single, which helps plate the stamp to the left "1x" row of the right pane.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecostic, do not give up on this stamp being a genuine imperf vertically stamp. If the stamp was imperf vertically the user would have had to scissor cut at right to free the stamp from its neighbor. If there were perforations at right the user would have merely separated the stamp from its neighbor using the perforations just as he/she did along the horizontal perfs.

In Lester Brookman's The 19th Century Postage Stamps Of The United States, Volume 1 (1947, 1st Edition), page 170, Figure 270, is a cover with a stamp very similar to yours with the exception it is perforated at right. On page 171, Figure 272, is another cover with a stamp very similar to yours only with a wide right margin that is perforated. If this particular stamp, with the wide right margin, was off cover it could have the perfs trimmed off in an attempt to mimic a stamp imperf vertically.

I doubt that the user of the stamp on your cover was attempting to create a rarity by cutting the perforations off on the right side.

If the stamp was off cover, yes, it would be questionable and would probably not be a candidate for certification.

The link that you provided regarding the cover in the Matthew Bennett auction is ex-Chase, but a certificate is not mentioned.

I suggest contacting one of the auction houses, like Siegel, and send them a scan to hear what one of their folks thinks about your cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited because I should not have yelled.

The stamp is imperforate at left because it has the natural interpane guideline.
The stamp is imperforate at right because it was cut with a scissors removing the perforations.

There is nothing that would prove it to be other than that unless there was a second stamp to the right.
Edited by chipg - 11/18/2020 6:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
chipg, how is the OP's cover any different from the cover that he links to in the Matthew Bennett sale? Granted, the left side is the gutter between two panes being the only difference. The OP's right side margin is significantly bigger than the left or right margins of the one sold in the Bennett sale. Question: Why would the original sender cut the perfs off of the right side only? Why not cut the perfs off of both top and bottom perfs if the scissors are out and handy?

My guess regarding the accepted genuineness of the Matthew Bennett sale cover is that (a) it comes from Dr. Chase and (b) it's a contemporaneous use tied to a cover used by someone who was most probably not trying to create a rarity.

If the stamp on the Matthew Bennett sale cover was not on the cover it would not pass muster as vertically imperf.

The OP's cover is really no different from the Chase cover.

Ok, now you can yell. I'm used to it. I've been married almost 47 years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2719 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp
And the PF declined opinion on that cover (the one in the link above).
Also note it didn't sell in a 2015 Siegel's auction.

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....ubmit=Search
Edited by stampcrow - 11/19/2020 5:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1411 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chevelle, it's possible that the postmaster had panes of stamps scissor-cut (quick and less likelihood of damage) into vertical strips of 10, thereby making it quick and easy to tear off single stamps as needed along only one perforated side.
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ecostic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for commenting and sharing your opinions, I greatly appreciate it!

Thank you Dudley, I had not considered that and it sounds very plausible.

Stampcrow, thank you for sharing the auction info, I was going to take a similar position to Chevelle before you shared that the other cover did not sell and that the certification was declined.

Chevelle, thank you for that info, I will definitely reach out to some auction houses soon and get their opinions as well.

Chipg and Mootermutt, thank you for your info as well, after reading everything I do agree that it is in the sweet spot and may not have enough margin to be proven, but just enough to not be completely disproven.

I may still send the cover in to APS and see what they think, it would be my first time sending anything in, so at least I'll get used to the process.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley, wouldn't it also be plausible that if the postmaster had stamps that were vertically imperforate between that he/she might also scissor cut them apart beforehand for easy sale and application?

It appears that the ex-Dr. Chase cover that sold for $1,500 in the MB February 2015 sale was subsequently sent in for a cert, failed and the buyer then tried to sell in the Siegel December 2015 sale where it went unsold. Siegel at least thought the cover worthy of being offered. However, if the ex-Dr. Chase cover was not certified then the OP's cover will most likely not be certified.

The cover will probably languish in philatelic limbo forever.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2719 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecostic, if you do take further action would you follow up here and let us know the outcome? I would be very interested.

Thanks for posting this.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05