Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Letter In German From 1932 And Air Mail

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 962Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a letter written in German from 1932 and air mail from a piece of cardboard from a box that was sent via air mail from Houston. I'm not sure what the letter says as it's in German AND cursive so it's tough to translate

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still getting a hang of keeping the photos under 200kb and making them turn out ok. Let me know if anyone wants me to send them a better copy of the letter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Germany
189 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you post a more high resolution scan of the Letter, I can translate it for you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A scan would work best if available!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4990 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps on the corrugated cardboard were issued in 1956. So, the two things shown together are a little confusing.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 12/04/2020 4:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll work on getting it scanned! Bookbndrbob sorry about that. They aren't related. I'll make sure to separate the post next time.
Valued Member
Germany
189 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@bookbndrbob
In my opinion the Letter and the packet do NOT belong together.
The years dont fit, and the name doesnt fit.
Valued Member
Germany
189 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Stampcollector37

I've been able to translate the first Paragraph, but missed some words because I couldnt decipher them:(Get me that scan and I can probably translate the entire Letter!)

"Dear Little Adele!
Even when you are a little bigger than us, you will always remain our little Adele. We are very happy that you wrote so nicely to us so quickly, but are worried about you receiving your mail correctly, that means immediately. You should have been receiving Mail from your parents for a long time now. Please write us right away when and where you received our letter, so that we can see how the mail rate works out – hopefully you can understand. After you left we were very sorrowful, meaning sad, Your Aunt cried, and I ……..The same has become so much better already and you will receive a Photo in the next days. How are you healthwise? Have you bought "Pako" already?.... Please Adele be careful, that you wont become sorrowful, as your parents have become. But God will protect you from it. Now your Aunt wants to continue writing the letter, she is taking it from me."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1041 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LordinVader, Would you mind taking a look at translating this on?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This might be an opportune moment to post a reminder that the APS offers its members a translation service (free for most shorter items): https://stamps.org/services/translations
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4990 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al E. Gator's item is interesting because Suetterlin script is used throughout, except for "Dettmer zu Hornbostel" on the envelope.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 12/08/2020 12:56 pm
Valued Member
Germany
189 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@bookbndrbob
That letter is not Sütterlin, the date on the Letter is to old. Sütterlin came about at the beginning of the 20th Century. This Letter is much older.
I think it is "Kurrentschrift", and I have almost finished deciphering the Letter.
Will post when done.
Valued Member
Germany
189 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can already give you the text of the Envelope outside Script:

"den Schneider Johann Friedrich Dittmer
zu Hornbostel
Amtei Winsen a. d. Aller"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4990 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks LordinVader. There is always something to learn here at SCF.

I was reading that Kurrentschrift was used along with the more usual English cursive, depending on context. So, was Kurrentschrift used typically as a more "formal" style of communication?
Edited by bookbndrbob - 12/08/2020 6:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2404 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The old German scripts can be a real challenge, even for native speakers. For us non-natives, it's an exercise in futility. To me, they look like nothing but long paragraphs of "m" and "n" with the occasional loop. mmmnnznmnmmtmnnmkmnm.

I don't have many letters in my collection, but I do have a bunch of postcards. Ideally, I like to include the translated text on the album pages. So, I use a service that charges about $10 a card (depending on complexity) to decipher and translate the old script. It's not worth it for routine items, but for rare items it's a nice touch.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 12/08/2020 6:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1041 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LordinVader, Thank you for the update.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 962Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05