Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1861 Washington Stamp 3c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 534Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone help with this?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have another on a postage. Looks like there may be an error with how it was printed? It's shifted

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1060 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   7:24 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are both 1861 stamps - yes. They are Scott #65 which is the most common stamp of the era. There is no error in the second stamp, it is just off center. Neither of them has any dollar value, but either will work to start a collection of 1861s.
Learn More...
8814 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your cover has more value than just the stamp, please do not remove the stamp from the cover. The cover is a piece of postal history, a letter inside can add additional value.
Don
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do have quite a few with letters inside but this was the oldest I could find. There was no letter in this one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
547 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampcollector17,

Here are some things Postal Historians look at with covers, besides the stamp.
Postmarks - where, when (dates are very important), colors, style, machine, hand, cork, etc.
Postal markings - on the front or back
Address - Who was it sent to, where were they living
Return address - same
Printed corner cards - topical and historic
Cachet or decoration or imprints
Contents - letters (again who and what is the letter about), bill of sale, business samples, etc.

So all of those covers that you have could be way more important and valuable than just the stamp on them. Good luck.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   01:34 am  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first one looks like a fairly common variety where the ends of the "E" in THREE makes it look like "THREB".

I've specialized in this stamp, and I may have paid a few bucks for the cover for the one that I have with the "THREB" variety. It's not worth more than that, but would probably sell for a few dollars.

Hope this is helpful, Ray
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30849 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"E" in THREE makes it look like "THREB".

That's striking ! looks like a "B" to me.

Quote:
Looks like there may be an error with how it was printed? It's shifted

Stamps are printed before perforation,
so the perforation has shifted not the print.
Edited by rod222 - 11/19/2020 02:29 am
Valued Member
415 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sender had wonderful handwriting skills. You could survey 10000 people today before you found better. That was written quickly, no ink blobs nor runs.
Edited by archerg - 11/19/2020 06:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4289 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1341 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The letter was sent during a very interesting time in U.S. history: the Civil War. If the year is to be believed (1863), Baltimore was in the thick of things. The Battle of Gettysburg was fought at the beginning of July, so there must have been a lot of talk about it in the city. Norfolk was under Union occupation and martial law. Too bad there are no contents. Would have been interesting to read.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampcollector37 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. I just moved so I'm very busy but I will post more postage that I have. Once I get settled in
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 534Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05