Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old 1800's Austria Cancels/Postmarks - Any Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 242Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bmbmbm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I was going through a bunch of old Austria, and noticed some of the postmarks looked kind of neat. I don't know much about Austrian cancels and their scarcity, but I was wondering if I had anything valuable (or at least not common)...anything stand out or look interesting?

Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30164 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A discipline all by itself. Can consume years of study.

Austrian Postmarks 101
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...s_in_Albania
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
561 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do not know about the value, but it is fum to find these towns on the map. Austro-Hungarian Empire covered good chunk of modern Europe. So the towns are all over the Europe and many have different names now. Takes a lot of googling to find them.

For example Gorz and Pisino are in modern day Italy and Croatia and called Gorizia and Pazin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorizia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazin
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
589 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Few months ago, I purchased a lot of old Austria-Hungary empire CDS cancels from what is now Czech Republic/Slovakia. Most of the town names were bilingual, very interesting to see all those old German town names in Bohemia and Moravia.

I found this list very helpful during the process of IDing them -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ech_Republic
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Austria-Hungary cancels make up a significant part of my huge worldwide "Gazetteer Collection" and they provide me with a lot of fun finding those many, many towns now differently named in so many different present-day countries.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Later on, yesterday, after I made my comment here about enjoying the hunt for Austria-Hungary canceled stamps, I came across another one -- posted at Seisenberg/Zuzemberg! That's present-day Zuzemberk, Slovenia. The fun goes on!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
565 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From 1850 to 1871 stamps of Austria were used as well in Hungary. In 1867 Hungary became a separate kingdom (advent of the Dual Monarchy), and began issuing its own stamps in 1871. Included in the Hungarian kingdom were Croatia, Slovakia, Dalmatia and parts of Serbia, Roumania, Poland (Galicia), and Ukraine. Austrian stamps dated 1850-71 and bearing postmarks of locations within the Kingdom of Hungary are typically worth a bit more.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted Yesterday   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boydxbiggs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I became fascinated with these Austrian Empire cancels and started collecting them 2-3 years ago. You can build a solid collection inexpensively, although I notice that on eBay and Hipstamp some well-struck cancels or certain cancel varieties often sell for $3 to $10 each.

Stock pages like the one at the start of this thread will sell easily on either of those sites. In the image I can make out cancels from Kotor (now in Montegro), Pola (now Pula in Croatia), Pisino (now Pazin in Croatia), Markersdorf (once part of Poland just above the Austrian border), Gorz (now in Italy), a couple from Trieste (including the Tergeste cancel) and Kamintz (Ukraine) and what appears to be Leopoldstadt (Vienna).

On this subject, I know about the Mueller Handbook of Austria and Lombardy-Venetia Cancellations on the Postage Stamp Issues 1850-1864. I believe there is another guidebook that covers issues through 1918. I have never been able to find either of these for sale anywhere. Does anyone here know how to obtain a copy?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05