Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Sheet Of 1920 5˘ Pilgrim Tercentenary Scott #550

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 612Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
16 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps_inherit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
can someone help me with this question?

How much do you think is the value of this Stamp sheet of 1920 5˘ Pilgrim Tercentenary #550? I have no idea, it`s the value of a unused or mint stamp, 20 times the quantity of one stamp?
Thanks for your help!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2571 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2014 Scott Specialized Catalogue of U. S. Stamps & Covers lists the mint plate block of six at $450, the blocks of four at $160, and the singles at $35 each in very fine condition.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by littleriverphil - 11/21/2020 1:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7216 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This block appears to be stuck down to a sheet of glassine interleaving. If so, it's value is significantly reduced, perhaps to only 5%-10% of catalog at retail.
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps_inherit:

That is a beautiful group of stamps. Do not consider the comment of Revcollector. Revcollector does not grade stamps, and does not sell stamps. *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2571 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do not consider the comment of Revcollector. Revcollector does not grade stamps,

You're sure about that? He is quite knowledgeable and does work in the trade. I agree with what he says above.

http://goscf.com/t/74738#667342
Learn More...
8769 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jr. Ratfish
You are welcome to disagree with others here but do not launch into personal attacks, please remain respectful of others.
Don
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil,

Please read the entire thread to which you have referred. the thread you reference is where revcollector repeatedly states that he evaluates stamps based on the person presenting them. When questioned, he states that he does not grade stamps, nor sell them.

Why would anyone consider the opinion of revcollector?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7216 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"revcollector repeatedly states that he evaluates stamps based on the person presenting them"

EXCUSE ME???? Where exactly have I EVER stated that? My comments are based on the stamps themselves. And although I do not personally sell stamps, I break down large lots and collections to be sold at auction. I am very well versed in how to look at condition. And although I do not like grading as a concept, I actually do look for gradable stamps, and have also graded stamps on occasion. You are free to believe whatever you like, but I know stuck down stamps when I see them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7216 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have stated that I believe some grading companies grade stamps based on who submits them.
Valued Member
280 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps inherit, sure there is some value to this, but not hundreds. The damaged gum will definitely lower the value a lot. I'd check some of the usual web sites to try to ascertain what this might be worth or at least obtain a range. Personally something I'd make a $20 bid on at a local stamp club if it helped the club, but not more than that. Just my opinion though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
525 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be clear, there is NOT a plate block of 6 in this block - the plate block has a 3x2 format with the plate # on the center stamp of the side with 3.

This block represents 4 blocks of 4 plus 4 singles. Also, they are not nearly Very Fine - more like Fine, with a few that MIGHT be called F-VF. It appears to have glassine stuck to the gummed side, so all the stamps will have disturbed gum IF the glassine comes off without damaging the stamps.

You MIGHT find this in a dealer's stock selling for $50-$75, and I think that is optimistic. The block would likely sit in the dealer's stock for quite a while at that price level. A dealer might pay 1/4 of that for the block - he will want to remove the glassine and that takes time (=$$$) and he doesn't know that he can do it without damaging the stamps (additional risk on investment). On the plus-side, it looks decent from the front, albeit not very well centered.

Warning: Unless the glassine comes off VERY easily, it should be left in place. It doesn't take much to damage the stamps by peeling off the glassine. Most of the time when I see blocks/sheets stuck to glassine, as this appears, they are WELL stuck and not even remotely close to consideration for peeling off.

The block might be good for a half a tank of gas. NOT a new car.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Warning: Unless the glassine comes off VERY easily, it should be left in place. It doesn't take much to damage the stamps by peeling off the glassine. Most of the time when I see blocks/sheets stuck to glassine, as this appears, they are WELL stuck and not even remotely close to consideration for peeling off.

Interesting,
I have a sheet of the 1c freedom of speech, stamps, of similar nature,
I thought mine were an anomally.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7216 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, it happens more often then I wish it did. Pressure and heat will melt the gum enough to stick to the glassine of an envelope, or a sheet file as in this case. If the pressure is light, the stamps can be peeled off with minimal damage, but if the heat and pressure are heavy then they are really stuck down.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7216 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This happens a lot on stamps that come from tropical locations, too.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjdevi1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like glassline (or something) was adhered to the back at one time. Agree with the above. At some point, whatever they were stored in had pressure, heat, and probably humidity to boot. Heat and humidity can act like a steam press.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 612Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05