Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1902 International Postage Stamp Album Scott Stamp & CO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 302Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add aacook to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm brand new and looking for guidance! I picked this up at an estate sale for $10.

It seems there are at least a few good ones in here, like the 50C #R61b passenger ticket and the similarly sized 25C tickets such as "power of attorney" and "life insurance."

Some particular stamps I'm curious about are the 1894-99 Norway stamps as I read the 10 ore stamp sold for $2,369 in 2017. Mine looks pretty close but doesn't have the fat margins and the details around the wings in the corner are different.

Another one that's a massive long shot is the 2C Canada stamp in green. I read that's the #1 most rare stamp for Canada on laid paper. I have no idea what I'm talking about the to me the green stamp does feel like it has a ribbed feel to it. Wishful thing? :)

I was thinking about just posting this entire album on eBay, but it seems better to slow down a bit and verify some of these stamps. What would you do?

Thank you in advance.

Photos of every stamp/page with stamps are visible here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wvi63rvw...sbBFdUa?dl=0

The stamps in question:

Send note to Staff
Edited by aacook - 11/22/2020 10:07 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aacook - I looked at your Dropbox photos. I see some common stamps in poor condition, many still "on paper". Somebody else can speak to whether or not the revenue stamps have cancels of interest. Sorry.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8605 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   8:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
For $10, you got a good deal and good start on a new hobby. Start by assuming that most stamps were printed in the millions or even billions (even in the 1800s) and while there are occasionally rare varieties the odds of you having one is very, very slim.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1682 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
aacook please invest in an inexpensive pair of stamp tongs. Stamps should never be handled with fingers- oils, dirt, and moisture from our fingers can damage the color, paper, or gum of stamps. :-)
Edited by shermae - 11/21/2020 8:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aacook to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   03:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an old child's album. I'd use a dozen of your photos, including the US fiscal stamps, and start it on eBay at 99 cents.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30177 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm brand new and looking for guidance!

I second Shermae's advice.

Fingers and hands on stamps, albums, is really not a good look at all,
apart from the damage that it may incur.

Apart from that, a lovely album (from a fan of old albums)

I did not see anything of note, (US I am not familiar with)
I would sell the complete album, I don't see you getting much for it.

Edited by rod222 - 11/22/2020 06:47 am
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aacook to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. Newb mistakes all around. Learning. Tongs ordered!

Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aacook to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Couple follow-on questions.

This is the same album, sold for $480. I'm assuming the value is in the actual stamps in this album which I don't have.
https://caseantiques.com/item/lot-1...-album-1902/

Where do you all establish your comparison prices? I was excited by the 50C blue passenger ticket which is listed here for $100-475. Granted, this is what they're asking and not necessarily what they're sold at... and now I'm assuming these are different from my passenger ticket.
https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...es/R61b/USA/

How does one establish minute details like whether a stamp uses laid paper or not? A microscope?

Thank you all.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aacook to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ended up Googling about laid paper. Of course, my stamps aren't laid paper. :)

Pretty cool hobby!

I do have another follow-on thought: Do any of you all display stamps in frames (on the wall) and such or are they all strictly tucked away in albums?
Learn More...
8605 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Displaying stamps in picture frames leads to ruining the stamps from light exposure/fade. UV glass helps a bit but typically you do not want to display stamps that way unless the stamps are common postage.
Be wary of 'treasure hunting'; stamp collecting is a great hobby but the odds of finding a rarity is very small. Get into the hobby for its educational and leisure reasons and you will not become disappointed.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1411 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I made an 11x17 inch framed display for my law office using a few dozen common Italian stamps and postcards of 1910 to 1950. I hung it in a location that is visible to visitors but never gets direct sunlight. It has been a frequent conversation piece and I believe that the benefit of me chatting up the hobby with others outweighs any loss of the stamps. So if they are stamps with little value, the occasional framed project may be OK.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have some framed French stamps. The cheap frame is worth more than the stamps, so they can fade to their hearts' content.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05