Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Herin Island And Lundy Issues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 379Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
498 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   07:18 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have, in a recent acquisition, a number MH and MNH Herin Island and Lundy Stamps. They appear to be for postal use but I do not find them in my Scott listing. Will they be in my SG catalog (If it ever arrives, I think it's been over two weeks now.)?
Thanks for the responses.
Paul
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5061 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are private issue stamps. It is one family issuing those stamps and their main source of income .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Spain
228 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
Lundy Island has a census of 28 inhabitants.
Regards.
Valued Member
396 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lundy is an island in the Bristol Channel. The stamps were issued to pay for carriage of mail to the mainland. They had genuaine postal use, but belong to the so-called local carriage labels.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/lu.../lundy-post/

There are catalogues for Lundy stamps, as they are quite popular. You, however, will not find them listed on Stanley Gibbons'catalogues.

Are you sure it is Herin Island and not Herm Island? The latter is one of the islands in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. It also issued local carriage labels.
Edited by NSK - 11/22/2020 08:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7162 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wheelman, if you search this forum for these two places you will find several posts complete with pictures

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
498 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   09:33 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the quick responses. And NSK you are of course correct, Herm Island. Looked at it with old eyes.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30818 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1037 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a good online catalog of Lundy stamps here: http://www.acsc-history.info/lundy.aspx
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was the 1/2 putti in the earlier set offering ?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5283 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puffins - no cherubs.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30818 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's a good online catalog of Lundy stamps here

Excellent ! Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1784 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to remember another local post called Sark? Are those stamps legitimate locals, or are they fantasies?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30818 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was legitimate? service ended 1969

Letter to Sark
http://goscf.com/t/71912 br /

Map location of Sark
http://goscf.com/t/54347 br /

Exists: CDS Circular Date Stamp canceller "Post Office Guernsey"
Bottom of ring "Sark"

Edited by rod222 - 11/24/2020 02:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5061 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of those stamps from those islands are found in Cinderella collections . They were made popular by stamp companies who made them popular with youngsters who were receiving approvals with their stamp purchases .

I have the LUNDY information sheet in my collection ,I received it in the early 1960's from H.E.Harris or Jamestown Stamps .
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 379Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05