Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time For Another Fun Episode Of "Why The ?#%&@ Did You Buy This???"

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,058Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5041 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I enjoy these observational and quasi-intellectual exercises.

So after going 0fer in both Rasdale and Dutch Country auctions, with my lots going past my max targets just in pre-session bidding for the latter, I decided I wanted to buy something fun to paw through, just to feed the addiction.

Enter Apfelbaum. Not recommended for the novice or the risk-averse. That said, being a regular customer over the last 5 or so years, I haven't had any issue with returning lots I've been dissatisfied with, and have done so several times, even on a few multi-carton lots. I know that historically, quite a few people have been blacklisted by Apfelbaum for returns. I think it may depend on purchase history and dollar amounts purchased vs. returns. For example, if you return the first or second purchase from a vendor (rightly or wrongly), you're far more likely to get whammoed than if your first return is the Nth lot you've purchased. Sellers frequently want to nip "problem customers" in the bud. It's the nature of the beast.

I've got a good rapport with Apfelbaum and am always polite and professional in my communications,* so I am not afraid of getting blacklisted or the return refused.

* IMO this is a HUGE factor both with traditional vendors as well as eBay/Hipstamp/Delcampe/etc. I feel that in today's society sellers far too often get a return request like this:

Quote:
This lot was awful! You lied about X and Y, you crook! I want my money back or I am going to report you to...

As opposed to:

Quote:
Good evening,

I received lot XXX today. Thank you for the fast shipping. Unfortunately there are some problems with the lot compared to what was stated in the listing:

1. [Enumeration of specific issue]

2. [Enumeration of specific issue]

[If an undisclosed flaw on an individual item constitutes a major portion of the purported value of the lot, high-resolution images corroborating the flaws are attached.]

I would like to be able to return this lot.

Thank you for your time,

-Dan

Taking the time to make a courteous and professional response, no matter how POed you might feel personally pays dividends. Starting a conversation aggressively, thus putting the seller on the defensive right out of the gate is not likely to pay dividends down the line and both parties could lose out long-term.

Sorry for the tangent... so in my case at least, the risk is actually lower than public auctions (assuming that one cannot examine lots in person), since I can return if not happy.

While there have been some Apfelbaum lots I have purchased that were no-brainers based upon contents vs. cost, at least within my areas of focus, most end up being gambles to a greater extent. I acknowledge that and I accept that level of risk; for me the unknown of what might be there is part of the thrill.

I'm going to show the original lot description and photos below. As with any Apfelbaum listing, ignore any and all claims of catalogue value or retail value that you cannot verify based upon what is shown. Everything you see below is what I used to make my decision; there was no asking questions or for more information.

The lot cost $500 net delivered, which in the current auction climate equates to roughly a $400 hammer + BP, sales tax, and shipping.

1. Would you have purchased at this price?

2. Which item or items do you feel prompted my decision to purchase and why?

3. What items do you find particularly interesting, uninteresting, or raise red flags?

3. What do you think I found and am I keeping or returning the lot?

I'll allow a couple of days for people to respond, and then I'll reply back with my thoughts and the results.

Description:

Quote:
LARGE BOX WITH HUNDREDS OF STAMPS & COVERS - Very disorganized with many better including classics

Estimated Net Value: $1,250.00 $1,500.00

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7226 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you get lucky with some of the covers, I don't see it. I would certainly assume that any of the foreign that might have real catalog value are either fakes, reprints, or damaged given the seller.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8779 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the only thing more 'iffy' than offering an opinion based upon the images shown would be to offer an opinion based images shown when the material came from Apfelbaum.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5342 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Would you have purchased at this price?

No

Quote:
2. Which item or items do you feel prompted my decision to purchase and why?

Early Postal History

Quote:
3. What items do you find particularly interesting, uninteresting, or raise red flags?

Nothing of great interest for me. A huge red flag is the incoherent range of material which screams out that the box was thrown together by Apfelbaum. The classic "mystery box" if you will that has zero real mystery and leaves me saying "why the f*** did I buy this f***ing thing!!!!"

Quote:
3. What do you think I found and am I keeping or returning the lot?

You may have found another original copy of the Constitution but my guess is that you returned the lot. (and kept the original copy of the Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just wondering if the item marked Ontvangen is some kind of unusual revenue use on document, and you're keeping it for that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking only to the non-US, it looks like a bit of a remaindered dog's breakfast, with the only potential upside being an unusual cancel buried in Austria or somewhere else.

And I thought your point on courteous communication was well-said. I'd add promptness of communication as well as a factor - if there's an issue the seller will want to know about it as soon as possible so that they can resolve it.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRockne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black ball ferry reference (Victoria to Port Angeles) is neat. But I'm from Seattle and, in sixth grade, we took a class trip to Victoria and I held a girls hand that I had a crush on.

Does that help with the value?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5054 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the value in those pictures ,as stated by someone it looks like a made up lot ,too many fakes,reprints or questionable condition .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
454 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out of my collecting scope, but the sellers ethics are questionable to the point I would just not risk it, unless your upside is well above the 1250. What are we all missing? Do you generally avoid asking questions toward sellers? Curious to know your thinking on that. We're you trying not to tip your hand on a secret value source?

Edited by rismoney - 11/22/2020 2:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5041 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Out of my collecting scope, but the sellers ethics are questionable to the point I would just not risk it, unless your upside is well above the 1250.

As I mentioned above, ignore the seller's claims of value. They tend to be wildly off the mark. Most often overstated, but there have been cases where the value is grossly understated as well.

Quote:
Do you generally avoid asking questions toward sellers? Curious to know your thinking on that. We're you trying not to tip your hand on a secret value source?

If it is a reputable auction house or dealer I know personally, I'm not afraid to ask questions. However, if it is an online venue and/or the seller is unknown or, shall we say, "of questionable moral fibre", I never ever ask questions, lest I cause them to look closer at the lot and potentially remove material or pull the lot entirely. I either bid/buy based upon what is shown or pass it by completely. I'd rather do a return than trigger the removal of material by bringing the possibility of good/better material to their attention.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7226 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Egyptian mourning cover might be to/for someone well known; such a wide border must show someone of some importance. The Canadian stampless mourning cover is nice too. But I still don't see anything of real obvious note.
Edited by revcollector - 11/22/2020 3:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2747 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm use to dealing with mish-mash material, but not seeing anything striking myself. Definitely not the Swiss FDCs...this I know too well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7226 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know there are a number of very good worldwide small souvenir sheets from the 50's and 60's, so I suppose the Korean examples here could have very high catalog values.
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
while not in my area to me it looks like floor sweeping sweetened with a few covers. did you get or request any scans prior to biding? the estimate for what is show is off the wall high and unless something was hidden in your scans or was recognized by you as scarce, it is not worth the price paid. they are imo a dodgy house and never understood how they survived this long.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
677 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had the dark blue (Die Blaue) Mauritius been an original Scott Mauritius #2 retirement would have been in order. CV is a sweet $1.7 Million.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30768 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Being polite and agreeable, always wins, in my book.
Recall any time you get angry, it is generally regrettable.
Sometimes, it takes courage.

Similar to what I purchase, but more quantity here.
So what are we looking at, a US $400 lot.
Unable to assess the US, but some nice mourning covers,

Lots to keep a worldwide collector going for months.

I see a lot of the more common, yet also some (for me) interesting
The Brit stuff, need to be taken out from those horrible mounts.

I don't see you too wide of the mark, perhaps $50 to $150
unless you see something I don't.

The pre auction estimates I find wide of the mark.
I'd really enjoy going through that lot, and working out if
it was worth it.

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,058Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 7.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05