Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time For Another Fun Episode Of "Why The ?#%&@ Did You Buy This???"

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,090Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't either revcollector. After all of the other responses, I figure why not guess that. I looked at some of the Great Britain and commonwealth items and didn't find anything (not that there isn't anything there). The closest, other than the Heligoland, was the 4 anna Victoria. I don't know what it is though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7232 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's an Indian revenue, not very scarce as far as I know.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
21 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yorkie68 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the 6th image down on the left side is a cover addressed to AJ Stewart on Broadway, is this someone famous?
Just guessing instead of working!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7232 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually that is A.T. Stewart, which was a famous department store of the time. There are a lot of first issue revenues cancelled A.T.S. in a red oval.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1784 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a first flight cover Detroit to Toronto from 1923, but I know literally nothing about postal history and aerophilately.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
632 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to guess something is hidden in the Asian stamps. I don't know a lot about Asian stamps but there are several groups of Chinese stamps and Korean stamps that seem out of place in this lot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7232 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The used set in the center right of photo 3 is from Montenegro, but it's a cheap set. If nothing else, I am pleased with myself for figuring them out from that scan. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
546 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea what you saw. I like the lot but $500 would be to much for what I saw. BTW, the cover in the 3rd photo is addressed to - Joseph Preyer Nuckols
Adjutant General of Kentucky: 1879 - 1883. Born: 28 April 1828, Temple Hill, Barren County, Kentucky. Assigned to position: 1 October 1879. Served under Governor(s): Luke P. Blackburn. Died: 30 March 1896, Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky. Buried: Section F, Lot 2, Glasgow Municipal Cemetery, Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky. Stone erected by Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp in August 1996.

Not worth $500 but someone might like it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
546 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Additionally, Joseph Preyer Nuckols was an officer in the Civil War for the Confederate States of America.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5048 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The responses are very interesting, indicative of the wide variety of the different ways in which we all collect and our perspectives.

To those saying this looks like at floor sweeping or contrived lot, you are 100% correct. This doesn't look like a "natural" grouping of philatelic material. That's somewhat of a moot point though, as floor sweeping lots have been known to have both interesting and profitable material in them... although from this seller the likelihood is more that as stated in American Pickers, "Sometimes one man's junk... is just one man's junk."

So my assessment of the lot images and the decision whether or not to purchase went something like this:

1. The mourning covers and the variety of countries represented are of interest, the stampless and Egyptian covers in particular.

2. While the world cut squares are visually interesting, there's almost no market for those.

3. The German states and other classics appear to have a lot of condition issues.

4. The modern covers equate to exactly zero IMO. If, upon discovery, something ends up being worthwhile: bonus.

5. The mint British blocks, while looking to be of significant quantity, appear to have Offices abroad overprints, which are of nominal value. Could there be better material in there? Possibly, but unlikely.

6. As Climber Steve and stamps101 both observed, the third to last image is the one I immediately homed in on as having possibilities:

I recognized the two sheets shown on the right as being better items. Also, there appear to be multiple sheets stacked there, but as to just what the sheets are underneath the top is anyone's guess. They could be more of the same or they could be hot garbage.

Also, just because the sheets LOOK like scarce items, it doesn't mean they are.

1. Are the sheets what they appear to be? If so...

2. Are they genuine or reprints/forgeries? If genuine...

3. Are there major condition issues? Do they have gum? The larger sheet visible appears to have a vertical split/tear.

So this then becomes the gamble. If the material in this image is genuine and there's more of the same, it could be very worthwhile. If not, and given the reputation of the seller, it could be a fool's errand.

I've had both good and bad luck with lots from Apfelbaum... some insanely good, which is why I keep coming back... but the downside risk is very high. That's why I would NEVER have bid on this lot at an actual auction where there's no return privilege. FAR too risky! However, as an outright purchase where you have the ability to return if not satisfied, that changes the parameters and risk.

So what did I find in the lot when it arrived?

1. The mourning covers indeed are interesting, the most interesting being one not shown in the images, a mourning cover from Senegal, a very obscure location from which to find one.

2. There's a small box of Ukraine trident overprints mint, used, multiples, a wide variety. That could be interesting.

3. There's a small sunk die proof of a Kaiser's Yacht (German Offices).

4. The 1937 Coronation set shown in the small book in the last image actually covers many pages and appears that it might be complete.

5. The Great Britain sheets are as expected, low value Offices overprints.

6. The album pages shown in the same image however, are a bit better. KGVI and QE2 MNH sets all in individual mounts, including some watermark sideways and graphite lines pieces, roughly $500 in Scott.

7. The modern covers are poo, with the exception of about 6-10 Canadian Postal Strike covers all with labels, which if nothing else are interesting.

8. There's a glassine full of Jamaica QE2 stamps in blocks, MNH, including denominations to multiple shillings, so there might be somoe value there; haven't checked.

9. There are some various and sundry worldwide singles cataloguing in the $10-100 range that are saleable.

But what about that sheet folio that I homes in on?...

Well...

It was what I hoped it would be. Belgium and Luxembourg sheets and sheetlets, and they all appear to be genuine. The paper, impression, and gum is all what I would expect from the period based upon experience with similiar material from the same countries from the same era.

Current Scott Catalogue value of the items in that folio excluding any NH premiums (and there are several that are NH) is approximately $6,000.

To be sure there are some condition issues. But even at 10-20% of Scott, which I think I can easily get as singles, given the scarcity of some of the sheets, puts me very much in the clear for the lot and everything else included will have been free.

Some of the sheetlets have hardly any examples showing on eBay, Hipstamp, Delcampe, or the APS. For European material, I always pay closer attention to Delcampe than I do to eBay or Hipstamp, as it is a European-dominated sales platform, so pricing and availability is probably more accurate than what we see on U.S.-focused platforms.

Quick and dirty scans of the contents of that folder below. Ignore anything having to do with color accuracy, as I just threw them on my large-format scanner for expediency.

So when all is said and done, I believe I am keeping the lot.
Edited by revenuecollector - 11/24/2020 12:15 pm
Learn More...
8799 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   12:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure that Apfelbaum highly appreciates this thread.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A perfect example of why it is important to be knowledgeable. Not necessarily in everything but enough to spot gems when others see trash.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A perfect example of why it is important to be knowledgeable.

Probably more accurately, "profitable."

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5384 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not seeing the score. I come across this type of stuff all of the time in large lots and it is in large lots because of the condition. No offense but the condition is rough. All the more power to you though if you can get 10% of catalog.
Valued Member
497 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad those sheets turned out. Aside from some "interesting" stuff in the other photos, it was all I could see as possibly being a goldmine versus a profit landmine. Lovely sheets! And sounds like it was fun to go through.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,090Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05