Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time For Another Fun Episode Of "Why The ?#%&@ Did You Buy This???"

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,041Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7216 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A man who ran a kids club somewhere in the Midwest bought a large lot of W/F and fourth bureau issues to use to teach the kids about perfs and watermarks, and one of the kids found one of the perf 10 on top or bottom errors. It was in Linn's about 10 years ago or thereabouts. It does happen, And I know Dan. If he says he bought it there, he did.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5051 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody says finds are not possible . I had my share of them . I am saying stay away from firms that had a lot of issues and other collectors tell you to go elsewhere .
Valued Member
United Kingdom
355 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those mint sheets may have some decent cat value, but they look like hard to sell material. Especially the Belgian stuff.

Getting lots of the same thing is usually a sign that its a thing that doesnt sell, whatever the cat. value.

And even if you do sell a few of them -- how long will it take to shift a dozen of the same thing?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5039 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   08:20 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader, you can disagree with the decision to buy the lot. Heck, you can even call me an idiot for having done so. You can avoid or denigrate Apfelbaum all you want; it's rightfully deserved, as I have said countless times.

But when you call my personal integrity into question implying that I am somehow making this up or shilling for them, I just have two words to say... and the second one is "you".

I can provide the credit card receipt as well as screenshots of the original Apfelbaum listing pages, as I save copies of EVERY listing page for every lot I buy from them just because they have a less than stellar track record.

Just because you personally don't like the end result and that someone managed to *GASP* find something worthwhile in an Apfelbaum lot does *NOT* give you the right to deliberately impugn someone else's integrity.

If I were some drive-by newbie here whose only post was extolling the virtue of dealer X that would be one thing, but I think that by now I've pretty damned well established myself as a member of this community.

You've gone too f*cking far.
Edited by revenuecollector - 11/25/2020 08:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5039 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   08:22 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WRT the German Colonies yacht die proof, I'm afraid what you have is a modern creation. If you're interested in reading more, I've compiled a couple articles re: these "die proofs" from Vorläufer, the journal of the German Colonies Collectors Croup, into a single PDF -- here.

Thank you, I was afraid that might be the case. Oh well, with lots like these, you take the bad with the good. I especially like the visual representation/comparison of the different printing methods used. Very helpful.
Edited by revenuecollector - 11/25/2020 08:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5039 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, thank you for the Canadian cover attributions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader - I think when Don said that Apflebaum's will love this thread, he was being ironic. I bought a Jamaica collection from them a few years ago after spotting a rare perf variety in the images. They totally missed it. It catalogs something like GBP 6,000 in Gibbons. I paid a few hundred dollars for the collection.

They may not have the same expertise in-house that they had decades ago, I don't know. But it's a turn and burn operation so some stamps within sets or within collections may not be examined carefully.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The idea that Dan is shilling for anyone is just plain ridiculous.

Steevh hit upon what I was talking about. I have had piles of these sheets before. They need to be in tiptop condition and they are items that have a large disconnect between catalog value and reality. That being said, Dan did OK. I stand by my assessment that Apfelbaum made up the lot to the exact value they asked for it with a profit on top for them. Nothing abnormal. A lot of auction houses do the same thing.

Dan - If you are having fun with it and even perhaps making a couple of bucks then you won. Nice!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but they look like hard to sell material. Especially the Belgian stuff.

That surprises me, I collect in-depth Belgian, and always have competition for the scarcer stuff.

Opinion
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, I think it exceptional, that a member has shown, in complete transparency, the purchase of a fairly expensive lot (for most of us) I am sure lots of members here
feel the same and have enjoyed the journey.

I find it sad that negativity, has raised its ugly head,
and "one upmanship" is behind it all.

Shame on you.

We are all a band of brothers and sisters whom share a combined passion, lets treat each other with respect.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
454 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to agree with steevh and rogdcam here as well. The tough part of this whole thread is just paying for this lot based on a belief that what is concealed out of view is equal to or better than what is on top when you factor in the dealer. I'm not sure if that is a worthy gamble or just something akin to StorageWars.

I would imagine most times a dealer arranges lots put better material on top to draw you in, and the stuff behind ends up subpar.

Me personally I've found the best material through the occasional misclassification, or overlooked diamonds in the rough that are still within plain site, but people aren't aware of varieties or specialized info.

Congrats on breaking the norms and coming out ahead. Knowledge wins.

I'll leave this out there in case you want to know just how ethically challenged this dealer has been. I am not saying they aren't of sound business today, but I think a REAL line is crossed from just being a shady dealer (Earl and John) to being found guilty by the US federal judiciary. I go out of my way to avoid this sort of seller.

Do I think criminals can start over, yes? But I would sooner make him a friend or help him with a computer problem or work with him in some other capacity, but I sure as heck would not engage in buying/selling stamps within a mile of them. Shame on me twice? no way.

https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-do...greement-107

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I cannot recall, on this forum, where a major purchase, has been shown
in full transparency, with reasons for purchase, cost etc, shown in the thread preamble.

Going by some responses here, I cannot see it occuring again in the near future.

And we shall be all the poorer for it.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has been a great thread and I sure hope another similar challenge is posed for the forum to discuss.
Learn More...
8769 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   8:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me I think this thread epitomizes ambivalence.

On the one hand, it offers wisdom (the value of being knowledgeable), the hope that often surrounds the purchases we make, and the excitement of a find. On the other hand, some of the same attributes have potential negative unintended consequences such as encouraging support of 'rolling the dice' or as a possible endorsement of the vender.

Ultimately I think how this thread reads comes down to the perspective of the reader; some see it as the 'glass half full' while other see it as the 'glass half empty'. I think that Dan was quite conscience of this when he first made the thread and took the time to outline the pros and cons. This drove us all to think and consider, and that is always good.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As another identification, mourning cover 21 is from Abernethy Saskatchewan and has an interesting cancel.

In general, cancels from Abernethy are considered common, but this one appears to have AS.. (ASSA) at the bottom, which indicates that this hammer is from the time Abernethy was in Assiniboia Territory.

If the cancel was clearer, and if it was three years older, this would be a rare territorial cover.

So almost a really good cover, but still interesting.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2476 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floor - you are wrong about Dan.
Dan - as two others said, I suspect you are overoptimistic about the sheets.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,041Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05