Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lines On #122 And #132

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 596Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
195 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why are there prominent vertical, and to a lesser extent horizontal lines on these two stamps? They look like they were perhaps a guide dot substitute, but it doesn't seem like there was any attempt to be subtle with them at all. The lines are distracting to me, but so many examples have them that I'm not sure they have any effect upon the stamps value in today's market. When I don't see the lines, it makes me wonder, in fact, if they have been somehow removed. The 1st stamp is #122 and the 2nd is #132.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
they are as you surmised guide lines and position dots. the lines tend to wear out as the plates were used. they are common to many issues with both often covered by the design. frame less designs tend show them up better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2416 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:26 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are plate layout lines.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1812 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are gorgeous stamps, widglo46!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7321 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are very beautiful, and I would not worry about the layout lines as they are found very often on older ( and newer ) stamps.
Usually they are removed from the plates but that sometimes does not happen

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
195 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Classic Coins. The Pictorials are some of my favorite stamps. Many of the Pictorials are fairly common stamps, but it can be a real challenge to find them with nice cancels and well centered. I'm still looking for a nice used #114 even though there were millions of them printed.

I thought it curious that, of the 1869 issue, it is just the 90 cent stamp that typically shows these prominent guidelines.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5927 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can only guess that the one plate used to print both 122 and 132, plate 22, was used for such relatively low quantities of printing that the line never wore down.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
655 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done so, but I would bet dollars to donuts that you would see similar dots/lines if you searched this issue on Siegel's Power Search. They are very common on this issue. My question to everyone here is: has anybody plated this issue? I would fully expect these layout lines/dots would make the job relatively easy. I would expect only one plate for each color, especially on the 90c, due to the low numbers of impressions, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, has the 90c been plated?
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I'm with ClassicCoins, those two stamps are stunning.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
446 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful stamps! And an interesting line of inquiry.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6228 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lines are shown on the proofs.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
they are often found on the match and medicine revenues. they were not usually burnished out or erased......the lines wore as the plate was used, the dots wore less and are more prominent. they usually were covered by the design of the stamps. there use appears to have been less prominent by about the 1890-1900 period to the best of my knowledge, or better hidden in the designs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05