Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice Buying Scott 41, 43, 1861-1863 Issues And Set Of 523-524 And 547

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 587Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
58 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamphunter1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks I have the opportunity to buy some unused stamps ( so said the seller) of the early franklin, washington, jefferson and lincoln issues with perforation and probably withouth grills.
the scott 28 is not there this time :)....
I received some scans of the stamps in question. Due to the "funky" perforations I have some doubts If they are really genuine.

They could be made from proofs and then perforated. they look fresh and unused but as mentioned when they are made from proofs (they are worth nothing). So I ask you abouth your opinions abouth the stamps?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the paper looks very, very white to me. I would not be surprised if you put them under a UV light that they would be printed on modern high bright paper. But without stamps in hand it is hard to tell from images.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5664 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Firstly, placing them on a white background so that the margins disappear just screams deception. Secondly based upon the colors of the stamps which are circled in red I would agree on the perforated proofs assessment. OR they could be outright LaserJet printed creations. I would ask for individual close-up scans on a black background front and back and dipped in fluid for good measure. But really, the vivid colors and bright white paper/cardboard say that these are not genuine.
Valued Member
Germany
58 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamphunter1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All the paper looks very, very white to me. I would not be surprised if you put them under a UV light that they would be printed on modern high bright paper. But without stamps in hand it is hard to tell from images.

Thanks Don. That's a clear red flag the paper doesn't match clearly visible that something is wrong with them.

Quote:
Firstly, placing them on a white background so that the margins disappear just screams deception.

Yes you are right interesting is that the paper of the scott 523, 524 and 547 looks the same as the 1850-1860 issues.

Quote:
Secondly based upon the colors of the stamps which are circled in red I would agree on the perforated proofs assessment. OR they could be outright LaserJet printed creations.

Having looked again on the scans they look to white that the paper is 170 years old so they are indeed product from a laser printer. The perforation are the second redflag of this stamps.
Also that the paper is in all stamp on the same tone, withouth any discoloration mold stains couldn't be true that they are genuine.

Hey thanks very much I appreciate it to have your honest opinions.
Valued Member
Germany
58 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamphunter1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I asked the buyer to send me crisp scans of the stamps includet the backsites of them. He didn't answer me.
Hehe he knows why. He would have preferred the deal done quickly there.
Edited by stamphunter1 - 11/22/2020 8:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamphunter1,
two other red flags are: the stamp images are very small and they are out of focus.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
458 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please name this cheat so others know to avoid him.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You were right to hesitate. Individually they look too good to be true, collectively just unbelievable.
I share the general suspcion that they are recent laser prints.

Valued Member
Germany
58 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamphunter1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You were right to hesitate. Individually they look too good to be true, collectively just unbelievable.
I share the general suspcion that they are recent laser prints.

Agree if they were real, unused maybe some with original gum. they would be pretty rare stamps. But it's obviuos that the seller is a scammer. I asked him to send me crisp scans of the stamp. And that's what I received. I asked him also to make a photo from the back of the stamp. He took a photo of the whole paper that the stamp is attached.
He thinks I'm pretty stupid.

Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please name this cheat so others know to avoid him.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6200 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is case and point on why investing $80 into a good scanner will pay dividends. No way to tell from the blurry pictures.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2517 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   10:25 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"No way to tell from the blurry pictures"
which may be on purpose
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6200 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize the larger blurry scans were from the seller. That being realized something about a ten foot pole comes to mind.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05