Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Straits Settlement - Belongs To Where?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 438Next Topic  
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KanneWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon.

I know that this stamp belongs to the British Community, but I couldn't identify the country ...

And,also, can you tell me if I can consider it as valid despite the thinning and small defect on the back ?

Thanks a lot

Wagner

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1400 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7159 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could that go in Malaysia?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5274 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Straits Settlements were part of what is now Malaysia - aside from Singapore, which was ejected from Malaysia in 1965. Other states had their own stamps. The validity of a stamp isn't affected by its condition, but the value is. The torn section is a shame. It can be tidied up a little, but still a spacefiller.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30789 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
Your stamp has been heavily soaked, possibly in warm/hot water
Not ideal, but a major value, and as Geoff indicated, a worthy space filler.

I keep mine under Malay States (MS) for ease of work within this area.
Edited by rod222 - 11/24/2020 4:47 pm
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KanneWa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
vayolene ,Thank you. Very intersting the history

Petert4522 thanks for the direction.

GeoffHa: I donŽt have idea how to fix the stamp.....(It can be tidied up a little)(??)

Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KanneWa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222 : probably you is right. I receive the stamp that way.

When you said:
"I keep mine under Malay States (MS) for ease of work within this area."

If I'm not asking too much, can you tell me: which system are you using ?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30789 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I'm not asking too much, can you tell me: which system are you using ?

The very basic and easiest oraganiser, since 1988, "Windows Explorer"
File tree, (or, in this case, amongst a plethora of imitators)
ACDSee 2.4 (1989 32 bit)
Which will not work on W10 I understand.

For grunt work, I use XYPlorer, similar file tree setup,
but 64 bit, and extremely powerful.
it will isolate a known postage stamp text string, amongst 500,000
stamps in about 10 seconds.

Edited by rod222 - 11/24/2020 7:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2903 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Scott, Straits Settlements is a separate section in the catalog. Scott organizes countries alphabetically so the country is in the "S" section and not with other regional issues (like Malaya). SG puts it under the Malaysia umbrella section so together.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1542 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SG Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps catalogue lists Straits Settlements under the first section of Malaysia. The SG Stamps of the World catalogue lists Straits Settlements alphabetically in the S section. The other various states are also listed alphabetically, not under Malaysia.
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KanneWa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you rod222. Very good. IŽll look after.
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KanneWa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good afternoon.

Thanks to both, 'angore' and '22crows'.
I finally managed to locate the stamp on Scott. (#172 or #202 ??)(my Scott is from 2004).
But, now, there remains a doubt about which Wmk. is my Stamp because in my Scott catalog the Wmk of that country does not appear ...
Can someone help me identify? Wmk. 3 or Wmk. 4?

please excuse my english, I always use the Google translator

Thanks in advance.

Wagner
Edited by KanneWa - 11/27/2020 3:15 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30789 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A stab in the dark.
Going by the 1st scan you offered, the top Left Hand corner,
appears to have the "CA" to the left of the crown = Wmk 3

On a revisit, I can see the outline of the bottom crown, shape looks very much like Wmk 4.
And the faint "C" of CA look like a left slant, (Script CA)

Lets see what the experts suggest.........

Tip: I should think a good watermark fluid, or Lighter Fluid, would reveal a strong Wmk image for you.

Edited by rod222 - 11/27/2020 5:11 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30789 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
because in my Scott catalog the Wmk of that country does not appear ...

Look at the front of the Scott Catalogue
They are shown at.......
"British Colonial and Crown Agents watermarks"

Good Luck
Edited by rod222 - 11/27/2020 5:15 pm
Valued Member
Brazil
61 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KanneWa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rod222
Ž
"British Colonial and Crown Agents watermarks"

IŽll try to see.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05