Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Album Page Software Poll

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,351Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2462 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostmasterGS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question:
I'm working on a little programming project, and I'd like to get an idea of what software folks are using to build their album pages.

Note that this is NOT for those who use dedicated stamp album software (AlbumEasy, MICHELalbum, the one that shall not be named here, etc.), but rather for those using software not specifically designed for that purpose (Word, Powerpoint, etc.).

I tried to list those I've seen people admit to using in other threads, but I no doubt missed some, so if your software isn't an option, please let me know what it is in the comments.

Thanks in advance.

Choices:
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Powerpoint
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Visio
Adobe InDesign
Adobe PageMaker
Scribus
Broderbund Print Shop
CorelDraw
Other (please comment)

(Anonymous Vote)
Send note to Staff
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31636 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other: Stamp Page Creator.
Extremely basic page creator, for my cinderellas, and ephemera.
Most would find clunky.

Contras: Adding text to stamp mount squares almost impossible.

http://stamppagetor.sourceforge.net/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/25/2020 12:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
655 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, I use Excel. Appearance is basic, basic, basic! No frills here! Note that I am not using these for my main collection - I am trying to make up country collections of dupes. I was trying to place ease-of-use, availability, and my limited skill above professional appearance. If you make your cells very small horizontally, you can give each line of spaces different # of stamps and different spacing between stamps on each row (allows wider spacing of only 2 stamps per row, compared to narrower spacing for 5/6/7 stamps per row). I will be using 8-1/2 X 11 paper (nice, heavy, acid-free, but standard size). Don't know if I will leave them loose (grouped in a manila envelope) or use a 3 ring binder. Each page has a header ("GREAT BRITAIN") and each set has a sub-header ("1840" "Unwatermarked" "Imperforate"), plus each space has short identifying text ("1p Black"). I think you can import images if you want to get fancy --- too much work for what I want. I keep a 'master' page with standard (stamp) sized boxes, so they are consistent from page to page.

FWIW, although I am plowing ahead with my project, there are probably better software suites with which to do this. Also, FWIW, I considered Word and PowerPoint, and ruled them out fairly early on. I don't have any of the other S/W's you've listed.
Learn More...
9130 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   03:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Adobe LiveCycle Designer/AEM Forms Designer - The only development platform I could find that allows a data source to be tied to the layout. This means that you can publish album pages with catalog numbers for each stamp space based upon a user's own database (thereby avoiding any entanglements with catalog publishers who falsely claim copyright infringement). The resulting PDF page looks for the data source when it is opened and if found, automatically places the catalog number to each stamp space. Data source files are controlled by the user, they can use their own numbering system or use any catalog numbering system they desire.
In my opinion this is critical, I can not imagine investing hundreds of man hours in developing album pages without at least having external data handling capability available.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5464 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other - pen and ruler.
Pillar Of The Community
2214 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Microsoft Publisher for my thematic and Postal History pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2462 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how I missed Publisher as an option. I used to use it!
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AlbumEasy

Apologies. It's early and the coffee hasn't taken hold.

Dale
Edited by StatesmanStamper - 11/25/2020 06:10 am
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello PostmasterGS,
I appreciate that you created this survey to meet a specific need, however, without compromising your results, the survey could have been far more useful to others if you had of also included dedicated album software amongst the choices.

The results could then have been especially helpful to anyone looking for alternatives when deciding on what software to evaluate when it comes to creating their own album pages.

On a more personal note, and I write this from a blatantly biased point of view, I would have been very interested in getting some idea of just how many people are using AlbumEasy. Currently, I have absolutely no idea - I couldn't tell whether it is 20 or 20,000.

Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use LibreOffice Draw along with Steiner pages. It allows me to edit the pages and add illustrations of the stamps. It should also be able to create pages from scratch, though I have never done that.
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other: Adobe Illustrator
Valued Member
Denmark
435 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apple Pages
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AutoCAD
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I use Microsoft Publisher for my thematic and Postal History pages.

Quote:
I use LibreOffice Draw along with Steiner pages. It allows me to edit the pages and add illustrations of the stamps. It should also be able to create pages from scratch, though I have never done that.

The two comments above express what I do. I use Powerpoint all the time for slide shows, I'm not sure how it works for a printed page layout, I've never tried that. From past work experience (unrelated to stamp album pages) I have used Adobe Pagemaker, and while I'm not thinking of any specific reasons right now I preferred it to Publisher. However, Adobe products aren't inexpensive, I already own a licensed edition of Microsoft Office 2013, and Publisher works well enough for me for designing a page or form (much better than using a word processor in my humble opinion).

Most of the time I am modifying Steiner pages and LibreOffice Draw works well for that since I can't open a pdf with Publisher. LibreOffice Draw would probable work well for designing from scratch, I've just never tried that and I am already familiar with using Publisher.

I've thought about developing an inventory program in Microsoft Access. Then I should also be able to generate album pages through Access' Report function, I think.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I use Powerpoint all the time for slide shows, I'm not sure how it works for a printed page layout, I've never tried that.

Simple - set the page size to the size paper you are using. Set guides for any internal borders that the page might have.

Boxes, text boxes, grouping, arrows, lines, alignment tools, etc. are all available in the menus.

You can insert pictures into the boxes and have online versions of your collection, or delete the pictures and print the blank page. Each slide is a page. Each file is a collection.

Every page in this collection - some for exhibiting (single and double-wide pages) and the pages printed on album page blanks were done in PowerPoint - http://www.cgpostal.com
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rugface to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apple Pages.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,351Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05