Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

603 Monroe Coil Line Pair... Gradeable?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 834Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
189 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobplates to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would appreciate your thoughts on whether it would worth sending this 603 for a grade? Has a very nice eye appeal IMHO. 2 600 dpi scans(front/back).

Bob

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickel Triumph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps...I like it and would have it graded.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
513 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very nice - is it MNH? 603 LP catalogs for $50 for VF (2019 Scott Specialized). Grade 90 is $72.50; grade 95 is $145. Looks like PSE charges $30 min for a single stamp unless they are having some kind of special.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 11/27/2020 1:25 pm
Valued Member
189 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle,

I see an SMQ value for the line pair of $100 for 90, $325 for 95 and $950 for 98. I am assuming the numbers you are quoting are the single values for SMQ and the Coil Line Pair value from Scott or am I missing something?

Bob

ps I included a scan of the back. Looks MNH to me.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickel Triumph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would have more interest in the low pop numbers. There are only three 95's and one 98 NH LP's. Looks like a challenge.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
513 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I'm reading the catalog wrong - I was looking at 603 in the 2019 Scott Specialized Catalog in the section for 1923-1929 Rotary Coil Issues. When I look at the current online price guide on PSE I see $35 for VF-80 603 NH LP, $55 for 90, and $160 for 95. Where am I going wrong? Thx.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 11/27/2020 2:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7223 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think it worth grading.
Valued Member
189 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note that the bottom line of the following screen shot is for 603 MNH Line Pair from the "SMQ and Population Report" website. When I looked at the Siegel power search for 603 realizations, they quoted the SMQ value so I just assumed that that was "catalog pricing" convention for this type of item.

I was thinking that this pair was 95 without having the skills to do the more in depth analysis that professional graders do. If 95 is on the table, it seems like it is worthwhile to grade. Am I being too optimistic? And if I were to send it in, is the PF or PSE a better choice?

Thank you for all your help.

Bob

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5327 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bob - You are definitely not being too optimistic. If you want the highest possible grade, and who would not, send it to PSE, not the PF.
Learn More...
8778 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Stamp Smarter PSE database shows a total of 28 603 LP with 6 of those a XF90 or higher.
Don

Edit; You can use the Advanced View of the database to quickly filter for 603 and then 'joint' in the description (giving you the 28 pairs). You can then select the grades you want and use the 'Compare' feature to get side-by-side comparison of the 6 XF90 or higher (so you can see how your pair matches up with them).
http://stampsmarter.org/public/PSECertFUSA.php

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7223 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me like the right outside margin is just a tiny bit wider then the left outside margin, with the center margins showing the opposite. I would think a 95 for certain, with a possibility of a 98.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7223 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since the stamps each come from a different plate, it's a challenge to find examples like this.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6150 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't bother paying to grade it unless you are actively selling it. I don't need a document to tell me what I'm looking at is a beautiful example.
Valued Member
189 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don

That is a great tool! Your efforts are much appreciated.

To everyone else, thank you for your input. I am going to submit this to the PSE and when I get back the results I will post them to the community.

Bob
Valued Member
189 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stalizer

I am going to sell it. There are some juicy items in the upcoming Schuyler Rumsey sale that I have my eyes on... and having more ammo is always better than less when you have your buying shoes on.

Bob
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i would echo stallzer on this one.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 834Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05