Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unable To Find A Catalog With Katchak Stamps From The Ottoman Empire

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 393Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TheAmericanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me with information on a catalog that includes the various values of Ottoman "katchak"/contraband stamps from the late 1800s. I cannot seem to find a catalog that lists them.

I already own:
Michel Southeast Europe 2017/2018
Scott 2020
Isfila 2018
Revenue Stamps of the Ottoman Empire & Early Period of Turkish Republic 2010

If someone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5054 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since there are six types known ,your best reference source would be L.Dominion article in the "American Philatelist ".

Welcome to the board .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by floortrader - 11/28/2020 07:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7155 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this will be of help: https://www.google.com/search?clien...d&q=katchak+

Peter

Edited by Petert4522 - 11/28/2020 09:21 am
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheAmericanMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for welcoming me to the board floortrader. I am specifically looking for a catalog with prices that includes katchak stamps. I have a series called the "Ottoman-Turkish Seals and Postmarks 1840-1929", which details the various types of them. On multiples websites, I keep on seeing katchak stamps having a catalog value, which is why I wanted to specifically know if there is anyone here that might have a bit more information on this and how the value is determined. Since it is not a specific stamp but rather a set of cancellations on stamps throughout the decades, I would have thought that there might be a catalog of the prices based on their rarities.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheAmericanMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Petert4522

Your link doesn't work. It just takes me to google.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7155 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Works fine for me. But you can Google "Katchak" and click on "images" and get the same as my link

Peter
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheAmericanMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking for something a bit more than a google search. Specifically, I am looking for a place that has catalog values and not just lists what they are. I am on this forum only because I have no idea how to proceed further. I have indicated that I have 5 different catalogs that either include Turkey or are specifically about it.

If there is no answer to that, then how does one determine the value of katchak stamps? It seems like it is completely random.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5054 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The American Man ------ about establishing a price .

I can say ,I have a lot of experience with making a price. For 24 years I was a Floortrader at the Chicago Board of Trade . There with hundreds and sometimes thousands of other traders we did price discovery and established a price . If Soybeans traded at $7.50 a bushel ,it was not unusual for me to raise the price or lower the price by public outcry .This was done thousands of times every year by me or others ,that was how we made a living .

Here in the world of stamps you can do the same thing . Publish your buy price and if someone thinks it is too high ,they will offer it at a lower price and there by create a new price ,this is called price discovery .

If I post the Switzerland PAX set MNH at $130.00 and a offer to buy it at $110.00 ,I have established the worldwide price for that set ,if you don't like that price ,then better it .......that is how a price is made .

Publish your price for those Turkey stamps ......you then create the establish bid and offer for them .Everybody can say what they want and cry about too high or too low , but your price with cash behind it makes the market .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30771 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heartily agree with Floortrader,
The above especially for scarcer material.
What Catalogue could possibly offer pricing on scarce material, AND keep it relevant ?

Last Contraband cancel I saw on eBay (on cut square) was 70 euros.
No certificate. (Type 6)

I have a colleague whom collects Indian States.
He maintains an excel sheet with realised prices, on the scarcer material.
I'd suggest you need to do the same.

Suggestion
Remainders in unused condition : common
Genuinely used with part of other genuine cancels : Scarce.
(Turkish Postal History)

Edited by rod222 - 11/29/2020 7:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheAmericanMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you floortrader and rod222 for the suggestion of establishing prices like that. I was thinking that there might be at least a baseline for their prices somewhere in a catalog. Since I do not plan to sell anything yet, I will try to keep tabs on the prices they were sold at on eBay. I am kind of a new collector and still learning the basics. If I ever do wish to sell them, I guess it has to be the old-fashioned way.

The difficulty will be having to determine which ones are authentically stamped and which ones have forged cancellations. With such a limited amount of information about them except the standard 6 type explanation, I assume that I will need to learn how to determine their authenticity on my own.

Also, rod222 thank you for all your posts. I actually learned a lot over the past couple of years from reading your responses on this forum. The CatDog avatar picture helped me remember you specifically. I would say that you are the main reason why I decided to join here a couple of days ago.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30771 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's flattering, thank you,
however, we really need to thank the owner of the site, the amazing moderators, whom keep this forum agreeable, and ALL the contributors.
They make up the family we are.

If you stay and enjoy please later consider making a small donation,
helps to keep the wheels greased and running smooth.

Turkey is a large discipline, but seems to keep its value over the years.
If you have a particular query, not answered here, I can always
consult the Ottoman and Near East Philatelic club.
No guarantees.

Cheers.
Edited by rod222 - 11/30/2020 05:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
520 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ONEPS is great and there's also a decent Facebook group on Ottoman philately.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 393Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05