Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Turkey Ottoman Stamps With Overprint "T" Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 295Next Topic  
Valued Member

Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
133 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rafa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know anything about these ottoman postage stamps with this overprint? Where and why they were in use
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheAmericanMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are Tax stamps. Sometimes the cost of the postage didn't cover the amount that was due, which is why this indicates that a partial payment still needs to be collected. From what I know, they were used throughout at least the European part of the Ottoman Empire. There are 21 different variations of the "T".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7160 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
T is the international abbreviation for "Taxe", or Postage Due.

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30807 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Lovely Stamps......envious!
These are as explained above.

Number 8. Pera (Foreign quarter of Stamboul)
1909 issue 5 paras, 10paras 20paras.

Contact me, should you wish to sell.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3012 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My old Michel catalogue notes that there was a shortage of postage stamps in 1909 and so 5, 10 and 20 para stamps from the 1905 and 1909 issues were overprinted in various types for use as postage due stamps.

Five different overprint types are shown including this one. Two have "T" plus the Turkish letter and three just have "T".

I don't see any reference to these overprints on this 1914 set.

I would be very interested to learn more about these stamps.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30807 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel,
I'll have a bo-peep through my Turkey Library.
(Ably sourced by our member Postmaster)

Not sure where to start, just give me a few days.

My current information comes from:
Turkey
Random Notes, 1926, G.A.Higlett, Harris Publications Ltd
Section lll
(20 examples shown)

https://turkishpostalhistory.com/in...om-notes-iii
Edited by rod222 - 11/29/2020 7:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3012 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the interesting reference Ron.

The four Higlet articles were all worth reading and I'd not come across them before.

I see the original article showed ten examples and the author of the blog has added the other ones which are in colour.

I had a quick look at my other catalogues.

Pulko has a full listing for 1906 for three of these stamps, the three values from the 1905 issue.

This doesn't mention different overprint types but does note that they can also be found in blue and red.

The image given is similar to Higlet's Galata types.

SG notes that the same three 1905 values were handstamped with "T" to act as postage due stamps.

I suspect that there will be both forgeries and bogus stamps.

I don't see how Rafa's examples could be genuine given their date of issue but they are handsome stamps.
Nigel
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05