Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time Experience With Rasdale

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 710Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
497 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There were a few discussions about the recent Rasdale auction while it was in process but I have not noticed much from a post auction perspective.
I am the one who was willing to pay more than anyone else on the 16 Scott International albums. My primary purpose is to finally get a start on mounting the tens of thousands of WW stamps in bins, boxes, envelopes and old decrepit albums of unknown origin. The albums were described as something like sparsely populated. One of the few areas that I had little to no content in my personal inventory is Great Britain. I must say I am quite pleasantly, OK, ecstatic, on what I have found so far. There are stamps from every country, from the late 30's to early 80's,some quite in depth, that now or in the past had any relationship to GB. I am only about 1/2 way through the third album and have added at least 4,000 new stamps to my inventory software. There are many, many in the $25 - $50 catalog range as well as a lot of the minimum values.
This post is not to gloat about a win, it is just to say how pleased I am as a first time customer for this auction company. I can hardly wait for the next one.
Hope all have a safe and happy Christmas season.
Paul
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5368 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent news Paul! I am very happy for you. Rasdale tends toward under-describing their material and people that are aware of that are comfortable going well past estimate if necessary. My greatest large lot score EVER came from Rasdale.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Rasdale, Bob Lippert tended to under-estimate values. One of my favorite auction tales is watching him call a small lot of Japsnese covers that he had estimated at $50. He opened the lot by saying "I guess wee blew the estimate, the opening bid is $5,000." And, then it went up from there.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul - Shhhhhhhhh. We don't want everyone to find this out - Shhhhhhhhh.

Rich
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5057 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"under estimate values " I believe each person who looks at a large lot of stamps will estimate it differently .

There have been many times where I heard this remark during the check out process . I find it insulting especially when it comes from a person who is a E-bay seller or a internet dealer that has under bid me on a lot . They say "YOU PAID TO MUCH FOR THAT LOT " really !!! ,I buy stamps for entertaintment and many lots it will be years before I finish working on them ,I am not in a race to sell it or look at the money it cost me other
than to enjoy the lot.

My point is not to resell it ,it is my hobby for the winter months ,so how can you talk about value of a lot or my over paying what you think it is worth .
Valued Member
59 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the 300 pound "Floor Sweeping" lot from the last Rasdale auction. I purchased it in order to catch up a bit on my collection as I had not been actively working on it for almost 20 years. My hope is that after I'm done taking what I need there's something left to sell on eBay which will cover some, if not all, of the cost of the lot. I would be very happy to break even money wise.
I have been going through it sorting by county and am pleased with what I have found so far. Almost every day I find something of interest.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5057 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. H ---Update us on what you found and enjoyed about the lot . Let us know about the keepers .
Valued Member
59 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still sorting the cartons by country, trying to keep an eye out for anything unusual. I have about 2 1/2 cartons of loose stamps to go through (which will probably take me a coupe of months). So far it has broken down to almost two cartons of US, 1 Canada, 1 GB, 3/4 - Germany, and about 160 other countries.
Had some nice finds in the US - a possible color missing error on the 25 cent bumblebee (sending in for certification), a few misperf errors, a Postcard that was sent in 1942 and returned to sender due to being sent to an enemy or enemy occupied country, an FDC of the $1.00 O'Neil with a plate block, #573 -$5 Head of Freedom block of 4 and a single, 10 #572 - $2 Capital Building, 2 - #114 Locomotives, 5 - #524 $5 Franklins, and quite a few US precancels - a few higher value, an interesting assortment of cinderellas.
If anything interesting comes along I'll post it when I find it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 710Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05